My turbo V6 almost done, pics

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mxk

Re: My turbo V6 almost done, pics

Post by mxk »

Just curious, what did you have to do to get your coolant reservoir to fit there? I've tried to move mine there like 3 times and could not figure out a way to make it fit and/or stay there.
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
When you can afford it, you may want to invest in one of these little buggers.
IC

Either have the inlet and/or outlet tubes modified, or find one that will be a drop in fit altogether. Put a scoop right where the IC would be, cut a hole out, and you've got yourself a pretty efficient intercooler.
Actually I have a friend that would give me a DSM SMIC for free. If I did an intercooler setup, it would be a 25x7x2" FMIC off ebay. I know I can fit that behind the stock front bumper and make it look sick. But after looking at how to run the pipes, all the bends and having to run it right next to the exhaust, on top of having to run more boost to make up for the pressure drop, I think the costs outweigh the benefits.

I'll be doing water injection someday though, once I decide to go over 5 psi. that will cool my charge temps plenty for the boost that the stock internals can take..

To fit the coolant reservoir, I just used a zip-tie and secured it to the a/c line. Its pretty snug and almost looks factory.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

That's why you put a small SMIC going directly from the turbo straight to the TB. It would avoid any pipes running near the turbo,it'd be dirt cheap, and be extremely effective.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

On another note...how did you weld the pipe onto the square mounting location on the turbo? Did you just manipulate the end of the pipe so it would match, or what?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Holy moly, another question. Where did you hook your oil feed line to? I'm going to guess you used a T fitting where the oil pressure sending unit taps into the block?
My Cardomain site
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Holy moly, another question. Where did you hook your oil feed line to? I'm going to guess you used a T fitting where the oil pressure sending unit taps into the block?
The oil feed I used a 3/8" NPT brass fitting where the hex plug used to be on the block. it's on the rear side of the block next to the tranny, on the front side of the motor.
European Mx3 GsRT
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Rebel24k! I suggest you to buy an A/F ratio gauge or a EGT gauge! It´s a must for any turbocharged car. Otherwise tuning can be really hazardous. You say that you have a friend who has a WB 02 sensor, that's great because you can note what true readings you get at a given EGT degrees or A/F gauge readings!
European Mx3 GsRT
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Battosai, good call. I have an autometer EGT but I blew my motor on my mx6 with it once because theyre a little slow to react.

I'll get an a/f guage though and check out the readings compared to the wideband.

Also, mx3man what square part are you referring to? the exhaust inlet or outlet? The inlet is a 3 bolt triangle and for the outlet I had a muffler shop expand a pipe to a point and then used a flange to cinch it down.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

You should plug the EGT probe before the turbo,not on the downpipe, otherwise it will give you slow readings. I have it installed on my front exhaust manifold. Jeff abrams also has his one on this location. Refeering the A/f gauge, you could put a commuter between the gauge and both O2 sensors so you can read both banks A/F ( that's what I did) You can have the switch below the gauge. Wire the gauge to the ECU plug, so you avoid running larger wiring to each sensor!

<small>[ June 01, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: BATTOSAI ]</small>
European Mx3 GsRT
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Also build a heat shield out of aluminium with a ceramic blanhet below it for your turbo!! It will avoid heat transfer between the turbine and the intake piping! It looks better than exhaust wrap over the intake piping. Also you could build more heat shields for the piping under the hood! Heat is critical for rubber and intake temperatures! also I would suggest you to install a hood scoop, your engine compartment will thank you!!
European Mx3 GsRT
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

hello, nice work friend. what rpm does your turbo start to spool at. i have the exact turbine side on my turbo.i was just wondering what too look forward too in that aspect. oh and if you have the old wastegate actuator i will buy it from you. oh and thanks for shareing the pictures.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I read the entire post and somehow managed to miss where you informed us on the oil feed tube... :roll: Thanks battosai...And when I say the square inlets and/or outlets on the turbo..... Look here

See the rectangular flange? On your turbo, did you just manipulate the end of the pipe to weld onto the flange?
My Cardomain site
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
See the rectangular flange? On your turbo, did you just manipulate the end of the pipe to weld onto the flange?
Ahh okay I see. that is a standard 4 bolt rectangle T3 flange. My turbo has the 3 bolt triangular Grand national flange, I just picked one up from an exhaust shop and welded it on.No pipe bending necessary.
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Originally posted by goldy1:
hello, nice work friend. what rpm does your turbo start to spool at. i have the exact turbine side on my turbo.i was just wondering what too look forward too in that aspect. oh and if you have the old wastegate actuator i will buy it from you. oh and thanks for shareing the pictures.
Turbo starts spooling at around 3k. Full boost by 4000-4500. I've heard that ditching the VRIS system will give quicker spool-up.
And yes I do have a stock wastegate. PM me.
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

tie your vris open...look overboost did the before and after

Intake Setup—VAF Placement/VRIS Plates Boost Start Full Boost

VAF before turbo, VRIS plates operating normally. 3800 RPM 4200 RPM

VAF before turbo, VRIS #1 tied open 3500 RPM 4000 RPM

VAF after turbo, no filter on inlet, VRIS plates normal 3000 RPM 3500 RPM

VAF after turbo, no filter on inlet, both VRIS plates open 2500 RPM 3000 RPM
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)