Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
lucky13

Re: Canada

Post by lucky13 »

Do you guys have fireworks too? What kind of things happen on that day? :shrug:
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lucky13:
Do you guys have fireworks too? What kind of things happen on that day? :shrug: <hr></blockquote>
ya we have fireworks too
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Can someone explain the background for Canada Day??? By the looks of the answers we're receiving you would think its top secret lol.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Marlon:

ya we have fireworks too
<hr></blockquote><p>
Our fireworks are better! :D Canada day is basically Canada's b-day as a country, isn't that right?
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 992mmx3:
<p>
Our fireworks are better! :D Canada day is basically Canada's b-day as a country, isn't that right?
<hr></blockquote><p>ya prob, you guys can buy them all year round right? and just about anywhere
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Some places you can, depends on how many native americans you know and how well you know them. :p
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:
Can someone explain the background for Canada Day??? By the looks of the answers we're receiving you would think its top secret lol.<hr></blockquote><p>nothing secret about it... its the day canadians blew up the mothership of the invading aliens. Hollywood lied to you lol. its just when Canada became Canada just like july 4th is when the US became the US.
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

short version - it's our country's b-day!!!<p>long version...<p>
On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st. <p>The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day. <p>There is no record of organized ceremonies after this first anniversary, except for the 50th anniversary of Confederation in 1917, at which time the new Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, under construction, was dedicated as a memorial to the Fathers of Confederation and to the valour of Canadians fighting in the First World War in Europe. <p>The next celebration was held in 1927 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation. It was highlighted by the laying of the cornerstone by the Governor General of the Confederation Building on Wellington Street and the inauguration of the Carillon in the Peace Tower. <p>Since 1958, the government has arranged for an annual observance of Canada's national day with the Secretary of State of Canada in charge of the coordination. The format provided for a Trooping the Colours ceremony on the lawn of Parliament Hill in the afternoon, a sunset ceremony in the evening followed by a mass band concert and fireworks display. <p>Another highlight was Canada's Centennial in 1967 when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II attended the celebrations with Parliament Hill again being the backdrop for a large scale official ceremony. <p>The format changed in 1968 with the addition of multicultural and professional concerts held on Parliament Hill including a nationally televised show. Up until 1975, the focus of the celebrations, under the name "Festival Canada", was held in the National Capital Region during the whole month of July and involved numerous cultural, artistic and sport activities, as well as municipalities and voluntary organizations. The celebration was cancelled in 1976 but was reactivated in 1977. <p>A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada. <p>"Seed money" was distributed to promote popular and amateur activities organized by volunteer groups in hundreds of local communities. The same approach was also followed for the 1981 celebrations with the addition of fireworks displays in 15 major cities across the nation. <p>On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became "Canada Day". <p>Since 1985, Canada Day Committees are established in each province and territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations locally. Grants are provided by the Department to those committees.<p> :D
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

WOW!!! :D
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

questions like this just make me laugh, and some americans still wonder why we live in igloos and dont have indoor plumbing, haha.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

What I think is sad is that 99.9% of all Canadians know what July 4th is.....why don't the Americans know as much about our holidays. Most Canadians know the U.S. 1st president. But I bet few if any Americans could tell what the name of our 1st Prime Minister was without looking it up first. Canada is like America Junior but some Americans just don't know a thing about us....it's not like we're far away.<p>BTW...1812 Canada is the only country to win a war against the U.S. Did you know that? We burned your White House. Sorry about that...but your new one is very nice.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<p>[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: Darren Hyderman ]</p>
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I agree with you. It's like every body knows all about the popular kid in school but know one knows anything about the others. I am trying not to make it sound bad. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”