Does anyone see a problem with this?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joe Carlson

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Post by Joe Carlson »

Hey everybody, i've started my third BP swap today, i think I'm getting pretty damn fast at this, i pulled my car in, and 2 1/2 hours later, i had the engine and tranny on the floor, and pushed to car out of the shop. Now about my question, i've read on here that the 97 Kia Sophia GS engine is a bp, so i located one here at my local salvage yard with only 50K miles on it, and bought the long block(block&head) for only $250. I plan tomorrow to swap everything over on the the other motor like; intake, exuast manifolds, and all the accessories. Would anybody see any potential problems i would run into using that long block and putting everthing over on it from my EGT motor. Also another quick question, i've also read that the EGT bp motor is a ZE and the Kia's is a DE, and i would like to keep my BP09 ECU, so would it be best to swap over the cams as well? Thanks for any input you guys can give me. -Joe
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.
Joe Carlson

Re: Does anyone see a problem with this?

Post by Joe Carlson »

Well I'm off to start building the motor, so i guess i'll find out if i run into anyproblems, i should have it all back togething in running by this afternoon, and give you guys an up date.
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Wow, clicking a graemlin wiped out my reply...

I'm guessing that the main difference between the DE and ZE are the cams, but I don't know what else might be different. Hopefully someone else who knows will post the differences.

As a side note, why 3 BPs? I'm asking because I want to better understand the life expectancy of my new BP. I totally rebuilt mine so it should be better, but then again that might mean it's only going to last about 5 hours! :roll:
Joe Carlson

Post by Joe Carlson »

Well in building the engine today, i used a micrometer to measure the cams, and acutally the ones on the kia motor where slightly larger, i think that's mainly since I'm comparing a motor that only has 50K miles, to one that has about 140K miles. So i just stayed with the cams that are in it, and the heads had the same # punched on them BP05. The reason i went through 2 BP's is b/c i put in a 160K mile engine the first time and was pretty had on it, and it lasted me about 1,000 miles then i threw a rod through the bottom of the oil pan, and there actually isn't anything wrong with this motor, it's just kind of tired, it's got some upper end valve noise, and averages about 105psi per piston, and i wanted to put a good fresh engine in there, this one averages about 175-180psi per piston. Well i got the engine all together, and dropped in today, and i should have it all hooked up and running by noon tomorrow. All of the accesories and about everything from the EGT motor transfered over, with only having to make some modifications to the block twice. Everthing seems to be going together pretty smoothly, but if anybody knows of anything i should watch out for let me know.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”