What the heck is this?!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
manowar821
Supporting Member

What the heck is this?!

Post by manowar821 »

http://www.renewedimport.com/product_view.php?id=60#

If you notice, they are selling a 1.5 liter dohc "BP" for a protege from 1995 to 1998...

my question is, why are they calling this a BP if it is 1.5 liter?
That would be called the Z5 or in the japanise version with variable valve timing, the ZL..

Is this a 1.8 liter BP engine, and they don't know it? Or is it a 1.5 liter Z5, and they don't know it?

If it is the Z5, does it fit in an mx-3 the same as the BP does??

Thanks a lot to whoever responds, this is bugging the crap out of me. Because damn, thats cheap for a BP. :froggie_red:
manowar821
Supporting Member

Re: What the heck is this?!

Post by manowar821 »

OH! Does anyone know the HP rating for the Z5??
That is all.. :p
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I think that the protege came with 2 different engines. Both a 1.5 and a 1.8. I dont know if they look the same or not but it must be some kind of a mistake the guys made on the site, a bp cannot be a 1.5 its got to be a 1.8 if it is a bp, so they have their engines mixed up. Either they made a mistake putting "bp" there or by putting "1.5".
Also the 1.5 makes 92 hp and the 1.8 makes 122 hp. :p

<small>[ November 19, 2004, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: Franko ]</small>
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
wokkyie

Post by wokkyie »

Hey there. I own a 1.5 dohc j-spec az3. It is reckoned that this engine is putting out around 120 bhp as standard. i have never run it on a dyno but when i finish playing with the motor i probably will.
mad for the motors, motors for the mad
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

This is probably a typo. My guess is it probably should say "BG" 1.5L Protege since they are referring to used imported engines. In most other markets the B5-DE/ZE was the most common engine to find in the BG 323Familia(Protege)also AZ-3/Presso, Lantis/Astina and Demio. The 110hp Z5-DE came in the BH Protege and 130hp Z5-VE in the Familia. The B5-DE was rated at about 110HP when converting from KW to BHP The B5-ZE was between 115-120hp to the end of '95 the '96-'98 B5-VE in the Presso/ AZ-3 were rated at 93kw or about 125hp. Before the B5 Club website was taken down a few years ago I was looking at there various dyno day results. There were guys with stock Presso pumping out 105-107 Whp or about 128-130hp at the crank. Guys with CAI and exhausts were pumping out 112-118whp. Even the guys with 323 and Demio with the B5-DE seemed to be higher than rated. This is unusual for Mazda since that were caught with there pants down over rating the specs of most of there engines during the 90's
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Thanks you guys! :2thumbsup:
I am still wondering though, how easily would that engine fit into a mx-3 if it were not the BP?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The B5 and the B6 engines are identical except for the stroke of the crank which is 78.4mm instead of 83.6mm and a higher compression ratio.
Things like the B6T exhaust manifold will bolt to the head isn't it is a B6 casting. Member of the old B5 Club were bolting up the OE B6T turbo hardware and achieving 180hp with stock B6T boost levels. The ones to look out for are the '96+ B5-ZE from the AZ-3/Presso (Japaneses MX-3)Also these one have the beefed up F series trannies THe as used with the 170hp 2.0L FS-ZE and 140hp FS-DE here in N. America

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”