silly question but need an answer

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Zim_Zim

silly question but need an answer

Post by Zim_Zim »

hi guys,
ok dont laugh this may sound lame...but i have this really stoopid annoying chirping noise coming from somewhere either in the steering wheel, in where the gauges are or somewhere around that whole area. the problem is when i drive over bumps of any kind i hear this chirping noise, not a rattle- its a chirpy/squeaky kind of noise. its getting really annoying and i cannot figure out where it is coming from. has anyone ever had anything similar to this before, and if so what was the culprit? some input would be great. thnx :D
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: silly question but need an answer

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

If going over the road surface-bumps seem to be exactly when you hear the sound, could be worn front stabilizer bar end-link bushings.

On the other hand, I was once driven crazy for weeks by a similar noise from the same area and it sounded just like a single quick chirping seagull cry. I kept looking for birds even though living 100 miles from the ocean. doh! There seemed to be no regular occurring condition or detectable cause until I finally realized it was a faint squeak from my clutch pedal hinge-point every time I pressed in or released the pedal slowly, like in stop and go traffic etc. A shot of lithium white grease fixed that one. Good luck.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

mine squeeks too. But it's the black gauge cowl screws that are worn out and rub. Also the thing that my VIN # is on - the clips that hold that plastic peice in squeek like a mother f------
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Don't get me started on noises with this car...
The following things will NOT shutup:
Steering collumn
Front Drivers side brake
Passenger side dash
Doors
Rear hatch

I haven't figured out a single one of them yet :p
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by manowar821:
Don't get me started on noises with this car... The following things will NOT shutup:
Steering collumn, Front Drivers side brake, Passenger side dash, Doors, Rear hatch. I haven't figured out a single one of them yet :p
Not sure what kind of noises you're getting but a few suggestions...

Dash: You can stop plastic dash & trim parts from squeaking by applying a very thin film of silicone electronic parts lubricant where the parts fit together. Available at Radio shack or many electronics stores. Comes in a tube and is used to lube internal plastic drive gears etc. on cassette decks.

Brakes: If you keep hearing the pads "riding" on the disk, might be a corroded/broken brake pad return spring. I had to replace both of mine. Only cost a few bucks at the Mazda dealership.

Doors: If it's a rattling noise, remove your interior door panels and check for loose/worn door-lock control rods and window track hardware.

Rear Hatch: If the entire hatch is rattling around, do a UBB search as others have fixed this same problem. The 93 had a TSB for worn hinge probs but I see you have a 92 so that may not apply. I used to get irritating rattling from the rear hatch latch area and it turned out to be the center brake light housing that needed to be tightened back down. Its metal mounting plate was just loose enough to rattle against the metal body panel where it mounts.

Dunno about the steering column.

<small>[ November 13, 2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

wow, thankyou!
I wasn't fishing for help, but thats awesome.
Zim_Zim

Post by Zim_Zim »

i found out whats making the noise! i just have no clue why it is making noise.
its weird...the clear plastic cover over all the gauges is the culprit. ill be driving along and all i can hear is this high pitched chirping/squeaking...but when i push my finger against the plastic lightly..i can stop the noise instantly. why is it so noisy? im so confused its attached fine and the plastic does not look warped..ah well im gonna take it apart tommorrow and investigate..but in the meantime if anyone ever has had something similar to this drop me a line. i might try to wedge something inbetween the clear plastic cover and the little black plastic thing(i know,i know i suck at explaining) before it connects to the steering column. i dunno it's weird..but thanx perhapsadingo8yerbaby for all the other great solutions to stuff. :2thumbsup:
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Hey TriSha_mx3_96!
When I push up or down on the steering wheel it stops or dulls the noise. So I think you are on to it!
Perhaps I should take it apart tomorow morning...

Ill tell you if I do.
Zim_Zim

Post by Zim_Zim »

man i dunno what this is it's ridiculously loud its getting worse. i know its just a noise..cars all have 'em, but this one is super irritating! i dont understand how this noise could be coming fromt the clear plastic cover but it is, when i even lightly push against the plastic it stops. i know its not the steering wheel its above it by the gauges. i just dont know what the hell to look for once i take it off. ah well :rant2:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”