Engine swap question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
urbanized

Engine swap question

Post by urbanized »

hey I am very unfamiliar with any thing under the hood and was wondering what would be required:
I drive a 92 rs 1.6
I bought a 96 rs 1.6 engine with tranny, wire harness (big box full of wires), mounts, MAF, fly wheel, clutch (basically everything out of the 96 rs that the guy doing a bpt swap didn't need) and some other things which i do not know what they are (sorry like i said i reall know nothing when it comes to engines)
I was wondering what else i need and plan on turboing it so what i would need for that (want to get it running first)
Any help is much appreciated,
thanks Justin
Justin Ollerich - Vice-President
MX-West Calgary Division
1992 Gold Saphron MX-3 RS
Sponsored By Quantem Tek Alloys
rukick

Re: Engine swap question

Post by rukick »

I tried to do that swap and I quit about 1/4 the way into it because the wiring is so different. If you have the 96 rs tranny, clutch, flywheel and wire harness then you are doing better than I was. That will help you a lot. As far as I know you should be able to do the swap with those parts. The only other stuff you will need are belts, fluids, etc. If you want to turbo I think the Mercury Capri turbo manifold will fit and I think racingmazda.com has a kit they are coming out with soon. Just to warn you, there were a lot of changes made when Mazda went from 93 SOHC to 94 DOHC. You may run into some surprises as you move ahead.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
urbanized

Re: Engine swap question

Post by urbanized »

thaks for the info, but what kind of surprises are you talking about??? I was hoping to get this project started next week and was hoping for some information to make sure i do not get in over my head.
I have a friend that knows quite a bit about engines but is unfamiliar with the mazda ones, he is looking into it to give us a hand but i would like to know what i would be expecting in terms of time and money.
Thank you
Justin Ollerich - Vice-President
MX-West Calgary Division
1992 Gold Saphron MX-3 RS
Sponsored By Quantem Tek Alloys

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”