BPD pulley system help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dreamsforgotten

BPD pulley system help

Post by dreamsforgotten »

I ran into yet another problem with the engine. I had the pully system ran wrong the whole time and I just threw the alternator belt. The engine kept overheating because I didn't have the water pump belt hooked up. How do you run the belts for the BPD engine? The crankshaft pulley (inner) uses the notched belt. The Waterpump pulley uses the notched as well. The power steering pump, a/c, and the alternator use the flat belts with the grooves. Keep in mind I did away with the A/c, how do I run the belts and which one do I use where?
OsoSlo z28

Re: BPD pulley system help

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you need to get a protege alternator(or just the pulley). the water pump and alt use the v-belt. the powersteering pump uses the flat belt. if you did away with the a/c, be sure to tell the place you get the belts from that it's for a 90-94 protege w/o a/c.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

A Protege sohc 1.8 belt w/out A/C.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm using dohc belts. why do you use the sohc?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The dealership I deal with said no dohc belt without A/C was available. Funny though, dealerships usaually don't know there head from there a$$, but 1 from a sohc will work. :)
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> you need to get a protege alternator(or just the pulley). <hr></blockquote><p>Nah ya need the whole alternartor.. the mx3 alternator sits about 3/8th of a cenemeter further in the protege so you need to run all mx3 compontets or all protege.. otherwise you eat belts i found this out the hard way. =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
dreamsforgotten

Getting the alternator is what I thought would be the simplest solution. The crank pulley and the water pump pulley use the V pulley. The alternator listed for the DOHC protege 90-95 houses the flat pulley. I cannot find an alternator for my engine with a v pulley.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

I can see having trouble with it. Mazda used 3 diffrent crank pullys for the protege for the 91-94 year range.. if anything go find one from a junk yard.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm using the mx3 alt with the j-spec 2 piece alt pulley(i had it bored out to fit). i got my belts from autozone. if they carry v-belts, someone makes a v-belt pulley'd alt. ;)<p>[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]</p>
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
dreamsforgotten

I appreciate all of the help you guys have offered me. I found out the problem. I called the place that sold me my engine. I ordered a 91 and the engine sent was a 93. The good part of that was it only has 35,000 miles on it. Damn thing is brand new. The engine is running but it needs to be tuned bad. It idles at 1500 RMS and backfires and the idle fluxuates bad so I am running it by my boys shop tomorrow to test the TPS sensor and hit it with a timing light. This project was very educating to me and I coudln't have done it without the MX3 board!
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

consider that a good thing =] long story about crank snouts..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”