Noooooo!!! The infamous Idle problem has hit me!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cybinpro

Re: Noooooo!!! The infamous Idle problem has hit me!

Post by cybinpro »

ltjrunner: What color is your MX-3, I used to live in GB myself. <p>To who ever said you gas milage was worse yea I can see that. I mean your idle jumped from 800-900rpm to 1,000 or so. Some gas is wasted there. I still passed oregon DEQ emissions test, so at speed I don't think it matters to much. <p>I'll take photos of the air bypass soon, like tomorrow. <p>Also I forgot who said it but, if your having a problem cruising at speed on the hiway, thats gotta be a different problem. This idle problem, is just that, at idle with no gas applied. Throttle body is closed. Like stopping at lights, getting off the hi-way (isn't it fun without power brakes or steering?) and resting in a parking lot.
Stop the rave.... I wanna get off!
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

yah thats what I was thinking when that was mentioned...*puzzled*
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

this happens to my moms 626 too. she has the 2.0 4 cyl. maybe i will try unplugging it on there and see if it fixes her problem. the mechanics have no idea what they are talking about...they already replaced the distributor and some other garbage that i can't remember.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cybinpro:
ltjrunner: What color is your MX-3, I used to live in GB myself. <p>To who ever said you gas milage was worse yea I can see that. I mean your idle jumped from 800-900rpm to 1,000 or so. Some gas is wasted there. I still passed oregon DEQ emissions test, so at speed I don't think it matters to much. <p>I'll take photos of the air bypass soon, like tomorrow. <p>Also I forgot who said it but, if your having a problem cruising at speed on the hiway, thats gotta be a different problem. This idle problem, is just that, at idle with no gas applied. Throttle body is closed. Like stopping at lights, getting off the hi-way (isn't it fun without power brakes or steering?) and resting in a parking lot.<hr></blockquote>
Hey man are we still on for Sunday? Hit me up on my cell...I sent you my number. Lets get this fixed!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cybinpro

Post by cybinpro »

Okay, I took some pics so everyone won't be unplugging the wrong stuff.<p>http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=312814<p>This is for a 1993 SOHC with Manual tranny.<p>If you unplug it, it should idle better and a little higher. <p>This isn't really a fix all solution, you should have the valve replace cleaned out or something.<p>Do this at your own risk, I've had mine unplugged for a while now and havn't had any problems. I'm to cheap to spring for the $229 to fix it. <p>Anyway good luck. <p>Cjthor I'll call you on Sat. sometime<p>Air by-pass valve location
cybinpro

Post by cybinpro »

So has anyone done this? Has it helped? It would be nice to hear comments, maybe we can get this in the FAQ's.<p>-Cybin
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

Thanks for the pictures...helped a lot.
Gonna try doing that.<p>My fricken gas pedal is sticking now too...this car I swear...something is always wrong with it.
Thank god I am selling that piece of ****.
Have had enuf!~!!!
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

I am going to the mazda dealership here in a few minuits so they can lub up my accelator cable so it won't stick..hopefully thats all it needs.<p>Gonna ask them to un plug the air by pass valve too....see if it changes the idle at all.
I am selling my car this week.
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

OK so I took my car to Mazda, and unfortunatly that air by pass thing doesn't work for my car. I have a more intricit engine then the other car (with the pictures) because I have Dual head Cam..and he only has 1. So it wouldn't work with mine. sH.iTty..but watever...I need a new clutch..now that sucks a.ss !<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: lady_venom ]</p>
cybinpro

Post by cybinpro »

Um the air bypass valve is pretty much in the same place. You could look in the online shop manual they have scetches in there that might help. Who told you it wouldn't work? Out of curiosity.<p>How come you need a new clutch? Is it slipping or chattering?<p>-Cybin
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

The Mazda Dealership told me they unplug the air bypass valve because my car would have a lot of trouble starting.<p>And my clutch is slipping yes...very choked.
NOt going to make my car easy to sell :|<p>add me to msn<p>powerpuff_hotty@hotmail.com
Jordi

Post by Jordi »

lets see or i can fix the problem by unplugging this valve controller, i'll let you hear if it worked for me.. (or not)
"Drive it like you stole it"
Jordi

Post by Jordi »

it worked for me, problem fixed :) thanks-a-lot
"Drive it like you stole it"
lady_venom

Post by lady_venom »

not my car.<p>But im selling it anyway..so I don't care anymore.
jumman

Post by jumman »

What do you mean by "fixed"? did your MX return to idle at 700 - 800 rpm? If so, why is the valve there for??<p>My car now idles at about 1000 rpm. If I press the clutch pedal it goes down to 800. Do you think unplugging the valve will work (go back to 800 instead of 1000)?
Thanx in advance.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”