intake and the air flow meter.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CoSpringsMx-3

intake and the air flow meter.

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

This may seem like a dumb question, but im new in here and i was curious. What purpose does the air flow meter serve? Also is it possible to dissconnect it and drop an intake directly down from the hose leading to the injection system? If not, then when u buy and after market intake what is done with this problem? FInally what possible problems could arise from disconnecting the AFM to drop and into down?
renef

Re: intake and the air flow meter.

Post by renef »

It is, and it isn't a dumb question. <P>1. While the car is on, unplug the connector that goes to the MAF sensor. Car stumbles and dies. Question has been answered.<P>2. I took all of that crap off and I put in an aluminum intake. The MAF is still there. But now it looks much cooler.<P>you need an HKS adapter for a 323 (mine's from a Miata) to convert from a square (the MAF intake) to a round hole. And, of course, you need an ait filter like a K&N or a Weapon R, or HKS. The plastic tube that goes to the throttle body is fine for now. I noticed no performance gains with the aluminum one I stuck in. Consider it engine dress-up.<P>mounting it so it doesn't rattle around and f--- up your plug wires takes imagination and lots of trips to Home Depot. Plan on spending a few hours under your hood.<P>good luck. don't bang your head on the hood corners.<P>I'll post my scanned pics very soon. I promise.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Cybin

Re: intake and the air flow meter.

Post by Cybin »

Yea I had to same set-up, Ordered a filter adaptor from corksport $20 and bought Tenzo air filter from Ebay, All in all no performance gains and having the filter flop around made me nervous, I took it off and bought a K&N. The stock intake isn't bad and it pulls cool air into the engine. The only plus side was the sound.<P>-Oliver

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”