Stumped...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KaBa
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Stumped...

Post by KaBa »

Hi all, just recently got my 96 mx3 w/klze back on the the road and have encountered an odd problem.
Randomly, the engine will cut out for a brief moment and then come back to life as though nothing had happened.
These cut outs are accompanied by the tach dropping to zero and the cel going off then back on (persistent egr code...needs cleaning I think).
I think the fuel pump goes off and on as well as I hear a click from the back seat.
It never cuts out at idle and only if there's moderate to heavy throttle input mostly on acceleration but sometimes on decel.

I've replaced the complete distributor with new, replaced plug wires, checked and cleaned all grounds, sprayed deoxit contact cleaner on all the harness plugs including ecu. I had a tps from my old k8 tb/manifold I swapped as well.
Nothing I've done has changed this behavior at all. Its totally random ie: some trips its happens a lot, some a little , some not at all.

The only things I can think of are a harness short or a bad ecu...any insight would be greatly appreciated
1996 MX-3 GSR Silver Stone 5 spd 4.11:1
1993 MX-3 GS Clear White Auto -> 5 spd 4.39:1
1993 MX-3 GS Blaze Red 5 spd - traded
speedray

Re: Stumped...

Post by speedray »

Hello,

The first thing that i can think of would be the mass air flow sensor and the harness going to it.
Try moving the wires a bit when on idle and also cleaning the sensor.

Also check your relays and see if any are sticking.

These are just guesses though.
The quieter you are the more you can hear.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

2nd gen mitsu eclipses used to shut off randomly on the interstate because of a defective ECU.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
KaBa

Post by KaBa »

Hey thanks for the responses..I was out of town for a week.
Damn car stopped being weird...only thing i did was put on a k&n oiled filter on the cold air intake. I bought a spare kl02 vaf just in case it was the vaf acting up as it was accel/decel related. Maybe the oil helped :shrug: :freak:
1996 MX-3 GSR Silver Stone 5 spd 4.11:1
1993 MX-3 GS Clear White Auto -> 5 spd 4.39:1
1993 MX-3 GS Blaze Red 5 spd - traded

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”