bp engine sephia tranny, which clutch/flywheel combination?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MX_Sid

bp engine sephia tranny, which clutch/flywheel combination?

Post by MX_Sid »

Hey all,

I'm in the middle of doing the Sephia swap on my BP'd mx. I have come across a problem with the clutch, did a search but didn't find much... My mx3 clutch bolted right up when I swapped in the BP. However, now that I'm attaching the sephia tranny, I can't get any clutch to work.

The Sephia clutch disc was WAY to big and the alignment tabs(?) on the pressure plate wouldn't let it go on all the way.

The Protégé LX clutch disc fits nicely. But, the pressure plate is about an inch bigger, and the friction surface is raised, as if it sits inside the flywheel. The holes don't line up either, since it is bigger as well.

I got the clutch from O'Reilly's (both times). Right now I'm at a bit of a loss, why doesn't the LX pressure plate match the LX flywheel? What is wrong here? What combination do I need to make this work?

I even tried to use the old pressure plate with the new disc. The Protégé LX disc goes all the way to the alignment tabs(?) on the flywheel so there is no room to mount the pressure plate.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
metallinen

Re: bp engine sephia tranny, which clutch/flywheel combinati

Post by metallinen »

You could have a custom sephia clutch fabricated to the specs you want..with the sephia flywheel (resurfaced) but why the sephia tranny ?
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

metallinen wrote:You could have a custom sephia clutch fabricated to the specs you want..with the sephia flywheel (resurfaced) but why the sephia tranny ?

It's a better transmission /bigger axles.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

I was talking with the guys on club protégé and have come to the conclusion that;

1) Whoever owned the Pro LX that my engine came out of probably blew his tranny and replaced it with the more common F-series transaxle. A down grade to power, upgrade to fuel economy.

and

2) By doing so, also had to swap the flywheel to allow the different clutch design to bolt up.

Now, this is just speculation, based on the idea that the BP flywheel is actually stepped, and the BP clutch disc sits inside it. As where the F-series flywheel is pretty much level, and the clutch disc sits inside the pressure plate.

Can any of you BP guys chime in on this one? Or is it just solved, and now I need to grab the real BP flywheel to finish the swap? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!

Return to “Transmissions”