Removing Speed Sensor

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3forever

Removing Speed Sensor

Post by Mx3forever »

I just dumped my transmission fluid and need to refill it. 93-rs

I located the speed sensor in order to remove it and use this spot to add the fluid.

I got the bolt and speedo cable removed.

I'm just a little at a loss to figure out the best way to pry this gear out of the transmission housing. Plus it's not the easiest thing in the world working halfway down the engine compartment with little room to work. I tried using a screwdriver to pry it up but it's pretty tough going.

Can anyone describe how they pry this gear out? I didn't want to just grab the thing with a pair pliers and chew it up, that's why I tried the screwdriver working from the top.

thanks
Mx3forever

Re: Removing Speed Sensor

Post by Mx3forever »

Just thought I'd reply to this post as I did get the speedo sensor removed and transaxle fluid filled back up.
Maybe this will help someone else.

Since I couldn't pry the speedo sensor out from the top, I jacked the car up and tapped it out from the bottom.
I positioned a decent flat head screwdriver on the side split housing and then tapped the screwdriver with a hammer until it popped up.
It took enough taps that I'm confident there was no way to pry it up from the top (but this sensor had not been removed for at least 10 years).

To fill the fluid I positioned a very small funnel into the speedo sensor hole, I then ran a hose down to the funnel and filled the gear oil mixed with a
little auto tranny fluid from the top. It took about 40 minutes to dump 2.5 quarts into the housing this way through a 1 inch hose I just had laying around.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”