Is This Normal¿?¿?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Is This Normal¿?¿?

Post by posey92 »

So I recently got a new job. No more beating on the car delivering pizza. I now work a lube shop and alot are newer cars. And the few 5 speeds ive driven had tight sticks...I noticed with mine if I have it in gear the stick can move freely tilting to where it could be 5th...and its like that in any gear. Been 5+ yrs since id driven a stick and it never misses a gear or jumps out any time I shift it goes precisely where I direct it to. But now driving these newer sticks it bugs me lol...is this normal for us to have that much play in it without it affecting shifting..
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Is This Normal¿?¿?

Post by Sleeper6 »

its normal, its just worn out shifter bushings. If it bugs you that much hit up corksport for some bronzoil bushings.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Older technology vs new technology. Bushings will help (I have them) a little but that slop is there and there's not much you can do about it. Someone on here mentioned tightening down the linkage at the trans by using different bolts but that could put a strain on the shifter linkage clevis and eventually it could crack. IMO
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

There are three sets of bushings on the shift linkage.
One set on the shifter
One set on the transmission linkage
One set in front of the transmission

Only two sets are serviceable.
The shifter and on the transmission. They have a long bolt, two bushings and a small nut at the end. Just remove the bolts, replace the bushings and bolt each joint back down. the tighter you put the bolts the "firmer" it will feel. don't overtighten them.

The third link is not serviceable... without some cutting. You will need to use a dremel to cut off the third link to remove and replace the bushings. Order another longer bolt and nut from the shifter linkage and put it on the 3rd link with new bushings.

OEM bushings work fine, and with all three repaired, that will stiffen up your shifter tremendously.

THe next is going to be the shifter mount that's underneath the center console plastics. If the shifter is separating from the mount, it may get that loose feeling then eventually fall to the floor. A replacement shifter mount would be good to have as backup.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “Transmissions”