New Hood:::New Progress Pic:::

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

New Hood:::New Progress Pic:::

Post by posey92 »

Imageo heres the hood ive been working on .. ran out of time and material so I prolly wont finish it up til next week so heres an in between.
Last edited by posey92 on May 13th, 2014, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kulluminati777

Re: New Hood:::work in progress:::

Post by kulluminati777 »

:freak: :freak: :freak: cool...very custom indeed :D cant wait to see it finished
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yeah I like it the car is red and black now was white...I spent 15 bux on red and black gloss enamel...but I just found out you can rent air compressors from home depot so ill ve repainting soon...same color scheme but metallic...
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Did you cut that out from another hood and trying to fiberglass it on top of stock one?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Kind of I was making it for my mirage a while back and I had read some thing that u didnt need a vaccum oven for carbon fiber...so I made a fiberglass hood and layed one sheet of carbon fiber on top...I was told to lay the resin slowly and bring out any bubbles with a tooth pick...but dumb me I used the fiberglass resin instead of epoxy so it didnt dry clear like I wanted and it just got tossed to the side for a while...the resin cracked from being moved around...then I was going to make a mold of my stock mx hood then cut out the mold where I wanted the vent and place a mold of that vent then make a fiberglass hood but finances got tight so I said f it ill just cut out stock hood bondo this in then when I want I can just make a fiberglass hood in the future...so short answer yes it came from another hood I had made...dont rem where I saw the design at but I had found it at some point and made it from scratch...

Anyone wanting to make their own foam pieces to mold off of I reccomend great stuff...it comes in a can expands and dries pretty solofld...shape what u want cover in bond smoot viola instant re usable mold all for round 30 bux...
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

I'm going to come by and see this up close and personal when it's done. Looks like a good start.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you use a random orbital sander you can sand off the polyester resin and reclear it with epoxy. Vaccum bagging makes a stronger bond for sure but without it you can still make a strong bond. Epoxy resin does take hours to set up but it's a far better product to use. With a random orbital sander after a little practice you can remove just the layers you want without damaging the carbon fiber itself. Keep us up on your progress.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yea I prefer sanding carbon by hand...im bout done refinishing a Siebon Evo VIII hood it was painted on the sides and someons ex didnt like the fact he cheated on her cuz there was quite a few words scratched into it lol...but I wasnt too worried about this hood I had made it was the first time playing with carbon and the sheet was given to me...thats why I cut it out of the opd hood and layed it into this one...im just gonna paint it...when I start racing ill re do it with a custom carbon hood...
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yea u should come by tomorrow zerials because its my last day here leaving this job to work at an auto shop for same amount of money lss hrs...less milage put on the car everyday and less gas money spent:)
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

posey92 wrote:Yea u should come by tomorrow zerials because its my last day here leaving this job to work at an auto shop for same amount of money lss hrs...less milage put on the car everyday and less gas money spent:)
Which shop?

I'll come by tomorrow evening on the way home from work. I guess i'll see this thing in the dark lol...
I'm going to send you a PM with my number so you can let me know the next time you go to the yard..
I grabbed the accumulator for my A/C (or lack thereof) but, didn't have big enough wrenches to disconnect the lines..
Maybe since you're getting a different job your schedule will change and I can help you on the DE swap after all.
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

Any update on this?
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Prolly finish it tomorrow got today and tomorrow..post pics tomorrow night
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

Anything new?
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Nothin yet been busy with this new job and stuff...ill start sanding it today tho at work..air power sander
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Return to “Appearance”