Clutch slave piston not lining up straight with trans fork

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
RX8SE3P

Clutch slave piston not lining up straight with trans fork

Post by RX8SE3P »

Edited some pics in now. Am I imagining it? My slave and my friends probe's slave for comparison.

I have just had to replace the slave as it died after only about 18 months. Upon removal the internals had worn down heaps on one side and it eventually blew it's guts out, it was very strange. So I replaced it with a new unit and looking at the where the piston hits the trans fork, it looks out of alignment, like the clutch fork needs to move further in towards the trans for it to be straight.

Perhaps this is why the old slave died? Pushing on an angle for a prolonged time. It works and the car drives fine though. Not sure what I can do about it.

Car is an MX-3 KLZE with MX-6 trans and has an Xtreme (australian company) clutch kit. My friend has the same type of trans and clutch kit in his Probe and it's all straight on his car...

1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
MX_Sid

Re: Clutch slave piston not lining up straight with trans fo

Post by MX_Sid »

Was the old slave cylinder angled like that too? I know aftermarket parts manufacturers make parts for multiple applications, it's possible their reproduction was for a different vehicle that happened to have the same bolt pattern and was close enough that nobody noticed.... Does your friend have the same brand slave cylinder? just a thought. However, if it were mine and fully functional, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

The actual slave itself is straight when not on the car. I don't know why, but the old one was the same too.

Perhaps my clutch fork sticks out too much? It's like I need spacers behind the slave bolts to hold it out further and make it straight.

I'm going to run for a while like this and hopefully it doesn't blow again. Might buy a spare slave cylinder and keep it in the car lol
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Space that baby out with a couple washers :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Are you sure that clutch fork is on right? As I'm sure you know the spring on the fork has a circular opening to locate the fork onto the ball thing that acts as the fulcrum. Maybe worth unbolting the slave (hydraulics intact), take off the rubber boot, have a look and make sure everything is happy and sliding.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

marchd, I havent had a look at that actually. can it be moved at all if it's out of whack?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “Transmissions”