Need Any MX3 Veterans Assistance

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need Any MX3 Veterans Assistance

Post by posey92 »

So I touched on this in an earlier post but id like to make this one to get straight to the point answers...

So if ppl dont know I have a 92 GS 236xxxK on it...got it for 250 $ and have put roughly 3000miles on it in bout 2 months...when I got it I was just so excited to have my favorite car in the world back I neglected to check things like oil...so when it started ticking I still didnt notice. Thats because I had a 94 Mirage which had a JY head and the lifters in that just ticked for like a year ticked so I didnt notice at first til bout 2 weeks after getting the car the ticking echoed off an alley I drove thru...checked oil wasnt bone dry but theoil lwvel barely touched the stick...since then I usually put Iin bout 2quarts every week or two depending on work. Still have to do the leak down test...
Thats the background heres the question...

So assuming its either rings or seals or both because of age and milage. Would it be

A) Cheaper to pull heads get new seals done which im pretty sure is a machine shop thing...or if its rings buy a hoist to pull engine and replace rings...

Or

B) I have a few leads on some KLDEs all less than $300 one with the highest milage is around 120k. Should I pick one up replace most gaskets waterpump belt since its out and drop it in.

I doNt have the hugest budget id love to take the time and money get an engine strip rebuild it all and dot transmission upgrades while im at it...but im figuring considering I need a running car to stay employed I cant have the seals or rings go from bad to real bad so I need to get this taken care of asap. I have 3 1/2 days of together and can have up to a week off with no issues and stay employed.
Assuming the possible cost of machining and parts to replace my k8 stuff VS I can see maybe with in a $100-$150 more having an opportunity to drop in a lower milage DE which would you guys do. Ive never done this before but I worked on stealth fighter jets (F22 ...if youve seen Transformers thats my actual jet filmed in a base in souther cali and copy and pasted into the other movies....:)) so I think I can handle it...just worried about cost one vs the other...if I spend a little more for lower milage and a few more hp id like to do that...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Need Any MX3 Veterans Assistance

Post by Daninski »

I'd be inclined to go with the lower mileage DE but then I shouldn't even be commenting because I'm not sure of your definition of a 'veteran' unless the Gulf War qualifies me. Any others 'Veterans' out there?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not like it's a headgasket, for oiling issues, especially since you have a K8, this is usually a great excuse to go DE. Swapping a motor would be easier than a rebuild, and from a budget stannd point, what would suck if you decide to do the rebuild and as you dig deeper, you find you need to replace more and more stuff. On the downside of swapping a motor, it would suck if it's a bad one, but you would find out pretty quick, and at least they should provide you with some sort of warranty. Pulling the valve covers usually give a decent idea on the condition of the motor.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
davmac

Post by davmac »

Another vote for swap over rebuild. The risk with swap is first bad motor and second that you will not have all the parts you need to complete and get the car back on the road. Let's assume the new used motor is good and with warranty. Prep will be the key to success over your short break. See if you can get the intake, throttle body and the VAF from the intake tube of the new old motor. Get the ECU too. Pull your old motor with trans. To the extent you minimize the number of components you need to swap from one motor to the other will save time.
Ideally you would refresh many gaskets, timing belt and water pump, but you could just check their condition and leave them for another day if there are no obvious leaks, etc. Changing any of this stuff is time and money and they could wait. Don't get me wrong - timing belt, valve cover gaskets, etc. are much easier to change while the motor is out, but you want the new motor in the car and started in the shortest possible time. My sense is that your biggest enemy is time. My advice is to focus on getting the new old motor started as quickly as possible. Worst case is you fail fast. Save time and money for all the nice new gaskets for after you know you have a motor worth the investment.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
posey92

Post by posey92 »

So I guess the next qusstion is how long do u guys think this motor will last assuming I keep up on the oil.
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

posey92 wrote:So I guess the next qusstion is how long do u guys think this motor will last assuming I keep up on the oil.
You would be surprised. I would guess it survives for quite sometime as long as it still has compression and still performs ok, granted you keep it topped off.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yea I imagine it would but then theres the fact I have to constantly buy oil...
posey92

Post by posey92 »

I gues the next question would be for the sake of time and money what parts on my K8 can I use on the DE. Like intake...any of the assesories? Exhaust manis...
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

If you can find a good DE, it would probably be cheaper...

Try to find an high cast number millenia, cast 700.000+, then u have all the good redesignd stuff. :)

What u need is an VAF from the DE and the ECU, for it to run properly.

Everthing else can be used from the K8.

The swap itself is very easy.

And the 30+ extra hp, makes the mx-3 a much better ride imo.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Where would the ast number be located...and I have a 92 so up to what year can I use so I can keep the harness just extend a few wirez and such.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

my opinion? Keep your k8 and nurse it as long as possible with some bulk 10w30 to add as needed and a quart of lucas in there. In the meantime look for a spare DE with low miles, to buy and set aside then save for a clutch, belts, new wires (more expensive then yould think), ecu and vaf. When you get it pull its tensioner, tap it for use as a manual tensioner (dont waste your money buying a new one, just deal with the hassle of pulling covers and retensioning at your first oil change). Otherwise use all your swapable parts to keep it on a budget and enjoyable; harness, exhaust, intake and throttle body. That way you save the time and grievance of extra money and re routing vaccum when it comes to your intake.

As for ever having a machine shop rebuild any of these mazda v6s, DONT. I just wasted over 1g on having a known good engine builder go through a whole KL lower end, new rings,bearings,seals,pump etc and that motor is now sitting on the floor at my work after hitting 0psi and almost destroying my cams let alone what its done to the lower end. These motors require the precision of an italian exotic when assembled and unless your willing to ship it to someone like Interprep and pay exotic car building fees, dont waste your time.

Just a lil personal opinion on how I would have gone about things after swapping in my 4th v6, and atm I am perfectly content with the low mileage, reliable k8 I have in my car now.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

posey92 wrote:Where would the ast number be located...and I have a 92 so up to what year can I use so I can keep the harness just extend a few wirez and such.

Engine doesn't matter, u can use the 1992+ ecu with a 2000+ engine.

Cast number can be found on rear bank on the left looking from the front.

Somewhere over here.
|
|
R. Head
Gearbox
F. Head
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

sleeper6, ok have to agree and disagree. yes on your de reccommendation.

No on a rebuild requiring italian precision or whatever lol. I rebuilt in my shed with mostly ebay parts. done about 33,000ks on it no probs. I dont trust any shops these days. They're mostly monkeys with air tools.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Just a random update...I saw and mx6 sitting in someones drive way today no plate looks like its been there for a bit...soo ill be making a stop there some time to inquire about it...in a perfect scenario they will say it runs great but the tranny went...ill offer 300 cash and they can have money and this not takin up space in the drive way...ill get it home pull the de from it put it in my car put the k8 in the mx6...call thr yard they come pick it up give me 300 I get a running de for free...lol thats a perfect scenario but ill try and see how it pans out.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”