After market fpr stock k8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jforce
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: After market fpr stock k8

Post by Jforce »

Josh wrote:(swapping from the VAF to a MAP).
On what ECU? Looked into that as well a while ago. But it's only for KL62 and OBD II ?

Does look promising.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Jforce wrote: A guy from my club makes these's, its no Xtreme things, Snailmain or stoker100. It's called the Fullsize chip.

No details, no pics ( i know it sucks). And I know balls about chipping myself.

He also mentioned the extreme timing on the probinator.

Only have the chip, I can only dyno myself for real proof. But i don't know what your dyno costs. Ours are more than $100,- per run..........

But anyway, josh makes the same whp with an stock KL36.....
That's pretty interesting. I've not heard of another chip maker that has decoded the timing maps etc. It would be cool to talk to him about it and see what he has done. My main goal for the project is not to profit from it (we do plan to sell the chips) but it's mostly to give a good option for KL owners that can bridge the megasquirt/stock ecu gap to a certain extent for a fraction of the cost/time/frustration :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Jforce wrote:
On what ECU? Looked into that as well a while ago. But it's only for KL62 and OBD II ?

Does look promising.

I am using the KL36 OBDI ECU. But am running a piggy back right now. It is data logging the OE parameters of the VAF and converting the signal to a MAP (not to be confused with a MAF). This weekend I will install a IAT sensor and remove the VAF out of the system all together. So I will be running a MAP instead of the VAF removing that large blockage out of my intake system. I am running a MAPECU piggy back. the new MAPECU III has just as much controllability as a standalone, but allows you to run your OE maps to start with. The MAPECU I, which is what I have only controls A/F not timing. But it will allow boost up to about 30 psi, so I have that in my pocket for later.
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

That's pretty interesting. I've not heard of another chip maker that has decoded the timing maps etc. It would be cool to talk to him about it and see what he has done. My main goal for the project is not to profit from it (we do plan to sell the chips) but it's mostly to give a good option for KL owners that can bridge the megasquirt/stock ecu gap to a certain extent for a fraction of the cost/time/frustration :P
Yeah well u should join the dutch mx-3 forum :P, but he's not all that active anymore. Guess he's moving on, believe he's got a skyline nowadays.
Josh wrote:
Jforce wrote:

Does look promising.

I am using the KL36 OBDI ECU. But am running a piggy back right now. It is data logging the OE parameters of the VAF and converting the signal to a MAP (not to be confused with a MAF). This weekend I will install a IAT sensor and remove the VAF out of the system all together. So I will be running a MAP instead of the VAF removing that large blockage out of my intake system. I am running a MAPECU piggy back. the new MAPECU III has just as much controllability as a standalone, but allows you to run your OE maps to start with. The MAPECU I, which is what I have only controls A/F not timing. But it will allow boost up to about 30 psi, so I have that in my pocket for later.
Really interesting.

Which MAP are you planning on using then?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well how it works is I am running off of the KL36 maps, but the MAPECU intercepts the signal from the VAF to the ecu, to learn its parameters through the voltage readings. Then it fills in its own fuel tables, based off of its readings from the MAP sensor in the MAPECU, as well as the signal received from the VAF. Then you can adjust all parameters of the map individually or as a whole. I have leaned it out by 2% as of right now, and it is pretty amazing.

I will be running off of the KL36 ECU, but with this system I will be able to edit the maps and dial them in a bit better. I have leaned it out my 2% as of right now and already gotten rid of the black smoke when I get on it. It is very responsive right now.
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Josh wrote:Well how it works is I am running off of the KL36 maps, but the MAPECU intercepts the signal from the VAF to the ecu, to learn its parameters through the voltage readings. Then it fills in its own fuel tables, based off of its readings from the MAP sensor in the MAPECU, as well as the signal received from the VAF. Then you can adjust all parameters of the map individually or as a whole. I have leaned it out by 2% as of right now, and it is pretty amazing.

I will be running off of the KL36 ECU, but with this system I will be able to edit the maps and dial them in a bit better. I have leaned it out my 2% as of right now and already gotten rid of the black smoke when I get on it. It is very responsive right now.

But this way, you don't have a sensor under the hood? It's included in the MAPECU?

Do you have a wideband btw?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Jforce wrote:
Josh wrote:Well how it works is I am running off of the KL36 maps, but the MAPECU intercepts the signal from the VAF to the ecu, to learn its parameters through the voltage readings. Then it fills in its own fuel tables, based off of its readings from the MAP sensor in the MAPECU, as well as the signal received from the VAF. Then you can adjust all parameters of the map individually or as a whole. I have leaned it out by 2% as of right now, and it is pretty amazing.

But this way, you don't have a sensor under the hood? It's included in the MAPECU?

Do you have a wideband btw?
Correct. The MAP sensor is in the MAP ECU box under my dash. So I just needed to wire it in at the ECU and run a vac line. I am running my A/F off of the OE O2 sensor currently, I have a wide band I just need to get myself a bung and weld it on.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

What wideband you planning to run? I just bought and installed an Innovate MTX-L. It was extremely easy to setup. Get an exhaust shop to weld you a bung (mine came with one) and the rest should be simple (hopefully).

I found the KL31 map runs very stoich at low throttle and idle. Between 14.5 and 15.5 mostly. WOT is rich and gets richer as rpms climb. Starts at about 12 and gets to high 10's by the end. Working on reducing the fuel map at the moment.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

I just got the AEM failsafe wideband. Also need to weld it on.

Jelle
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I wish to learn the wizards magic behind ecu's. I may be good at parts swapping and engineering, but I don't really know where to start in the world of engine control/management. I have a kl36 on the way and would like to know if I need anything else? I know I use my je50 from the k8. Even though I don't know how to hook all of this stuff up.
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

icajewler wrote:I wish to learn the wizards magic behind ecu's. I may be good at parts swapping and engineering, but I don't really know where to start in the world of engine control/management. I have a kl36 on the way and would like to know if I need anything else? I know I use my je50 from the k8. Even though I don't know how to hook all of this stuff up.
That is pretty much it, you will need to run two wires for the extra coolant sensor. One wire to ground and the other to the ECU pin for the EGR valve so your fan relay will work properly. really super simple. there are several write ups on it.

RX8SE3P

I have a WMS wideband, though I am looking for something with a smaller display LCD. Yeah found that I run a bit stoich with the KL36 at idle and rich under throttle. about the same as where you are at. though I leaned it out about 2% using my MAPECU and now I am about 14-16 under throttle where I was at like 10-12..
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

Well I must ask Josh, what piggyback ecu are you using?
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

mx3_ryder wrote:Well I must ask Josh, what piggyback ecu are you using?
Well a MAP ECU I would assume :)

But anyway, eventhough i'm supposed to run leaner with this new chip, I feel i'm still running rich.

I won't pass emmisions actually, 20 mpg I think on highway, quite black sparks, sooted exhaust.

2 years ago id did pass emision, with the KL31 ECU. Wonder what's different.

So that why i bought the wideband.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Josh wrote:
icajewler wrote:I wish to learn the wizards magic behind ecu's. I may be good at parts swapping and engineering, but I don't really know where to start in the world of engine control/management. I have a kl36 on the way and would like to know if I need anything else? I know I use my je50 from the k8. Even though I don't know how to hook all of this stuff up.
That is pretty much it, you will need to run two wires for the extra coolant sensor. One wire to ground and the other to the ECU pin for the EGR valve so your fan relay will work properly. really super simple. there are several write ups on it.

RX8SE3P

I have a WMS wideband, though I am looking for something with a smaller display LCD. Yeah found that I run a bit stoich with the KL36 at idle and rich under throttle. about the same as where you are at. though I leaned it out about 2% using my MAPECU and now I am about 14-16 under throttle where I was at like 10-12..
Josh, 14-16 under WOT? IMO you should aim for 13 at WOT. From what I have read everywhere, that's usually where the best power is. 14 and higher is more for fuel economy.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

2% is 14-16? wow.

16 a WOT will kill your engine, I would even wan't to run that for cruising. The ZE's already run quite hot.

For WOT i'd say you definitely want to be below 14.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”