KLZE? Or What?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
icajewler
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLZE? Or What?

Post by icajewler »

edit: I've renamed this thread to what I think is a little more appropriate. Since I've received my engine now and i am trying to figure out what to do with it before i put it in.

I've done some research on how much room there is to put in the straight neck and the curved neck and found out that the only annoying thing is the brake booster is in the way of the straight neck intake. I've got a straight neck KL on the way and was wondering if anyone could guide me in my next few purchases to get the correct parts so it's just a two day swap out and I don't have to worry too much on waiting for other important parts to come in. I've been waiting a long while for this moment, I don't want to be forgetting anything. :D
Last edited by icajewler on March 31st, 2014, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
RogueWolf

Re: KLZE Straight Neck

Post by RogueWolf »

I was running a Honda Brake Booster for years with a straight neck. Fairly easy swap out... once the engine is out of the car.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You can find lots of info by simply using the Search function or Google.
Example; search.php?keywords=straight+neck+brake ... mit=Search
I found this by typing in 'straight neck brake booster' in the V6 section of the Search function.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I was running a straight neck as I'm right hand drive and had none of the issues. It is annoying unless you have battery relocation though as the intake piping needs a steep custom made bend to avoid the battery.

I opted for the curve neck manifold.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

Thank for the info guys! So if I'm understanding my research correctly, the klze will function ok with k8 ecu and k8 vaf but to get it running to 'full' potential it is the kl31/36 ecu and the k8 vaf works with that? Unless i get a klde ecu and run a kl02 vaf? And how can you tell the difference in ecu's? I'm so close to having all my parts! I just really don't want to me missing anything. :freak:
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

icajewler wrote:Thank for the info guys! So if I'm understanding my research correctly, the klze will function ok with k8 ecu and k8 vaf but to get it running to 'full' potential it is the kl31/36 ecu and the k8 vaf works with that? Unless i get a klde ecu and run a kl02 vaf? And how can you tell the difference in ecu's? I'm so close to having all my parts! I just really don't want to me missing anything. :freak:
KL31/KL36 ecu will have the correct timing and fuel maps and vris points for the straight neck ZE and
your K8 (JE50) VAF is correct as long as you are OBD1.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

icajewler wrote:Thank for the info guys! So if I'm understanding my research correctly, the klze will function ok with k8 ecu and k8 vaf but to get it running to 'full' potential it is the kl31/36 ecu and the k8 vaf works with that? Unless i get a klde ecu and run a kl02 vaf? And how can you tell the difference in ecu's? I'm so close to having all my parts! I just really don't want to me missing anything. :freak:
The KL31/KL36 ECU will say KL31 or KL36 on it :P

KLDE ecu will say KL something on it. Is your car a 1993 or later? Whatever you do, try find the same year ECU when you swap as a 1994+ car will only have the 1 coolant sensor and a 1993 ECU will look for 2 sensors.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I've got the 93 SE. That's some great information! I am so exited to meet my friends on the track! (hopefully pass them)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I have a Probinator chipped ECU that I've been considering selling. If you get your engine in and are interested PM me. Suggest you search Probinator ECU first.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I'd suggest staying away from probinator. Not to bad mouth the product or anything but the simple fact is it's a KLDE map with ridiculous timing on the last line of the map (100% throttle). Timing goes to 36-37 fairly early on. It's been proven that 27-29 degrees makes best power for these engines. Anything higher you lose power or it gets dangerous.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

icajewler wrote:I've done some research on how much room there is to put in the straight neck and the curved neck and found out that the only annoying thing is the brake booster is in the way of the straight neck intake. I've got a straight neck KL on the way and was wondering if anyone could guide me in my next few purchases to get the correct parts so it's just a two day swap out and I don't have to worry too much on waiting for other important parts to come in. I've been waiting a long while for this moment, I don't want to be forgetting anything. :D
Consider the straight neck bottom/heads + KLG4 manifold. Looks a lot cleaner too. It will (just) clear the brake assembly.

Reinforce your motormounts while its out, also change the clutch and maybe flywheel. Things are easy accessible now. Also check your P/S assembly (very cheap to rebuild), also an annoying thing to get to later.
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I got my engine today! It looks great from what I can tell. Everything is clean and there aren't any dents (hardly any scratches) But I am having trouble identifying parts... I know I've got the Millenia IM (trouble posting pics, will do as soon as I figure out what's wrong with my phone) and there are kl31-101 stamps the cam's are stamped with kl01 and I am trying to find the time to sneak a peak at the pistons (does anyone have an easy method?) Anyone what to tell me what other identifying-like things I need to know that would help?
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

Here is my IM
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

What does the Throttlebody say?

KL-47 or KL-68?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”