corvette filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
zerialz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: corvette filter

Post by zerialz »

The more I drive with this combo of Oil/Filter the quieter the engine gets. It's like I said though I don't know how old the old oil was so just changing the oil might contribute to the difference but, so far everything is great and sounds great.

Here's the thread where mac1 notes the higher oil pressure as per an autometer type gauge.
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... tte+filter

Happy Motoring guys!
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

MrMazda92 wrote:The larger element is beneficial for extended interval changes. For example, "15,000" mile Mobile 1 extended performance. I run exclusively that, and do change intervals of 10,000 miles(checked every 2,000), and noticed that around the 6,000 mile mark that the Vette filter offered measurable improvement.

Edit:
Both the KL and Vette filters were NAPA Gold branded.
Measurable improvement as in a UOA shows it's going better? Or your educated opinion? Because if it's cleaner on a UOA then I'd switch to one immediately.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Let's call it an educated opinion. :lol:

When 6,000 miles of hard driving looks like 1,500, and 10,000 like the prior 6,000?

I'm talking same oil, same city, same engine, and same driving conditions. The only variable being the filter, man.

Whether it's a difference between brand quality, or filter size, or a combination of the two, I can't say. I CAN say that the oil looks brand new for the first 2,000 miles, and damned good for the following 8,000.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

I have to concur.. with MrMazda. I took my car to a shop for emissions related repair.. I have put approximately 1000 miles on the car since the oil change. The shop called to ask what oil I used in my recent oil change. Key Word recent. I did not tell them I changed the oil they just assumed it was changed because the oil looked new with 1000 miles on it. HLA tick still gone after 1000 miles of spirited driving with a clogged cat. :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Glad to hear it!!

I had gone back and forth with the filters a few times, based on what I had piled up(I tend to hoard K series parts...), and always end up going back to the Vette filter in the long run.

I have an OEM filter on my KL at the moment, but 500 miles of ATF mixed with cheap oil will prompt a change!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

Mine is mtx.. Is there any difference? I wonder. Idle speed is different which means the car performs differently with that drivetrain..
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

MrMazda92 wrote:Let's call it an educated opinion. :lol:

When 6,000 miles of hard driving looks like 1,500, and 10,000 like the prior 6,000?

I'm talking same oil, same city, same engine, and same driving conditions. The only variable being the filter, man.

Whether it's a difference between brand quality, or filter size, or a combination of the two, I can't say. I CAN say that the oil looks brand new for the first 2,000 miles, and damned good for the following 8,000.
Hmmmm it would be nice to see UOA as black oil does not mean it's worse or has less additives remaining. Most likely it is better due to increased oil capacity. I will pay pal you $10 USD towards a UOA if you were thinking of doing one!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

zerialz wrote:Mine is mtx.. Is there any difference? I wonder. Idle speed is different which means the car performs differently with that drivetrain..
All of my MX-3s have been MTX :lol:

I should have specified; I have 3 quarts of cheap oil and 1 quart of ATF in my ENGINE at the moment, since the engine sat unused for 2 years. There was oil buildup and sludge that I would like to see pour out at the next change. :wink:

RX8SE3P,
I'll take the oil in for analysis after I do my next full service change. The car should be on the road by the end of April... It's already been a very long time, so believe me when I say I'm in a hurry!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

Ohh okay.. ATF for the detergents.. Duh.. I should pay attention to signatures lol
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

MrMazda92 wrote:
RX8SE3P,
I'll take the oil in for analysis after I do my next full service change. The car should be on the road by the end of April... It's already been a very long time, so believe me when I say I'm in a hurry!
Wow it's been a long time coming! Hope she runs nice and doesn't give you too many issues. I had mine out of action for around 6 months last year and I had a few issues (throttle cable and O2 sensors) causing grief. Car felt like a turd until I fixed the little issues up!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

MrMazda92 wrote:
zerialz wrote:Mine is mtx.. Is there any difference? I wonder. Idle speed is different which means the car performs differently with that drivetrain..
I should have specified; I have 3 quarts of cheap oil and 1 quart of ATF in my ENGINE at the moment, since the engine sat unused for 2 years. There was oil buildup and sludge that I would like to see pour out at the next change. :wink:

Off topic, but I thought you had recently installed a newly rebuilt KL. Whats up with this?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RX8SE3P,

It has indeed, and I have piled up a few KL engines in the process, in an effort to start with the best combination possible. I have a few little quirks to work out, but I am waiting on something that ties it all together, which will be my last big purchase to get the car moving.
Thank you; I definitely know what you mean, I'll be spending at least a few weeks troubleshooting when she starts up for the first time.

ryder,
I have a 2.6l G4 short block sitting in storage, with forged pistons set aside for a later date. Truth be told, I have been shopping around to have some crank work done, and am trying something a little different for this engine.

The engine in the car is a Millenia engine with one belt spinning W/P and alternator, deleted a few accessories, and emissions equipment is gone. MegaSquirt, coilpacks, no VAF, nothing but the KL and the bare minimum required to get the car down the road.

If you're curious beyond that though, we should talk outside of this thread :P It's gone a little bit off topic!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”