Adjusting throttle cable on Curveneck IM

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Adjusting throttle cable on Curveneck IM

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm having a hell of a time with this, I've got nearly an inch of slop in my accelerator and I want it gone.

Problem: It's not minor slop that can just be "adjusted" away at the throttle body. Short of re-routing the cable itself, and making a longer path for it, I need to shorten the cable itself. This would also allow me to clean up the bay somewhat, so I'm curious if anybody has any ideas. I doubt I'm the first person who wanted to do it, any chance one of you has some tips?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Adjusting throttle cable on Curveneck IM

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Just cut the stop on your throttle cable, and get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUND-THROTTLE- ... 53e8c20888
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

No idea why your cable is too long, this is a new one. How about a pic of it connected to the TB and how it's looped in the engine bay.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

New one? I assumed anyone who swapped a KL into the engine bay had to deal with the cable adjustment issue. I know mine was also too long. Specifically the distance from the bracket to the throttle linkage on the KL IM / TB is shorter versus the K8. So you either have to cut the cable and add your own cable stop barrell or you mod the cable bracket so it is farther from the TB linkage. I did the later because I don't trust the screw on cable barrell - no reason really I just didn't want to cut the throttle cable.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

The KL MX-6 cable is WAY shorter. Its only like 1-2' in the bay, not 4' like the MX-3.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I actually like the idea of it being semi "adjustable" as far as length goes, so the screw in type appeals to me. The cable just seems ridiculously long to me... I'll snap a picture tomorrow, before I take the car to Les Schwab.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hah, I have run into this same problem yet again, with my other car. :lol:

So, between adjusting the pedal itself, and the routing of the cable in the bay, I should be able to snug it up?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

I used the original K8 throttle bracket with the curve neck and had no problems.
I flipped the bracket around, mounted it further back in one of the extra 10mm holes on the IM and had to put alittle bend in it so cable is pulled straight instead of on an angle.
Cable has no slop mounted this way and I still have adjustment.
I could take a picture if needed.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Please do take a photo!

Thank you kindly!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

I guess I am most of the way adjusted out, but I also used the bracket for adjustment as well by leaving only one bolt in. This was supposed to be just a quick fix to get it on the road, but have had zero problems and just left it alone. My car is hibernating in storage, so sorry for the dark crappy cell pics.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thank you!

That'll give me a starting point, at least!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I was about to take a pic of mine too and realised my car is at my parents house lol.

I shifted the throttle bracket back a bit too (into another hole I think) and I'm pretty sure I used the curve neck's bracket too. It was very annoying having the car idle high and have slop etc. No problems since.

So what you want to do it shift the bracket as far away from the throttle body as you can to increase the distance and reduce slop, if that makes sense.

Can take a pic this weekend if you need more.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

RX8SE3P wrote:I was about to take a pic of mine too and realised my car is at my parents house lol.

I shifted the throttle bracket back a bit too (into another hole I think) and I'm pretty sure I used the curve neck's bracket too. It was very annoying having the car idle high and have slop etc. No problems since.

So what you want to do it shift the bracket as far away from the throttle body as you can to increase the distance and reduce slop, if that makes sense.

Can take a pic this weekend if you need more.
Your bracket setup sounds exact same as mine.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Probably is but I can't remember if I spaced it out with something so it had no angle at all on the cable. :?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”