Another dreaded RWD thread

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Another dreaded RWD thread

Post by MrMazda92 »

At long last, after literally YEARS of searching, I received a PM in a forum COMPLETELY unrelated to Mazdas, referencing a RWD MX-3.

After a few emails back and forth, I acquired a photo library and typed modlist, as well as an all too basic outline for the conversion.

It's not quite as refined as I would have liked, but the information is sufficient and accurate enough for me to undertake this project. :) WAAAAY less costly than alternative ideas I have considered.

This one I am keeping to myself, until I get my hands on the 3 cars I will be needing to make it work. :lol: :freak: :welder:

I may be crazy, but I finally found what I was looking for!

My advice for those planning outside the box builds:

Don't let anybody else tell you what is or isn't possible!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
alexlotta
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Another dreaded RWD thread

Post by alexlotta »

Oh my..that's love and craziness.which of the 2 more^^?
I would be worth to live there in US just to see with my eyes that sort of amazing
efforts (and thinking out of the box is so marvellously "italian" lol) ,

i feel so lonely here with my mx-3 "CarLotta" ,nobody knows it .
On the other side sometime i see people looking at it , thinking is a sort of "NEWER" car ,
sort of Emblem of this underrated car .

Bro , tell me where i can find pictures of your babies , forum does not handle USER/thread search ,
it does just User/post search .
https://www.facebook.com/alessandro.lotta or google Alessandro Lotta , i'm the rocker one Lolz.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's somewhere in between, to be honest! :freak:

Even stateside, the MX-3 is extremely uncommon, and increasingly so with each passing year. I love the styling, the handling, and the fact that people always ask me what kind of car it is.

I just wish the damn thing was RWD, and had a more reliable transmission... That's what pushed me to search so extensively for this.

Here is a link to the worklog for my only remaining MX-3: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=510

I sold the other two last year, and sorely miss them already. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
alexlotta

Post by alexlotta »

wow , sure it's a long thread , a lotof things happen on yours.
Had brief reading , gonna read it through on Sunday.
_________--___________-
Yesterday i took from a garage a lot of mx-3 pieces for 100$ .
For most , i dont even know what i got (but it's even more rare here, so i took what i could).
No Disty and not MAf sadly .
Then , i asked about the coil/disty mod i found on the net to apair of technician.They did look at me as i was stupid .(nowadays they change parts , dont fix things anymore).
I see you modded (i did read "coilpack" on your first post )

I'm so curious about a billion things.
For example , i got a 4 spare original Enkei Rims (like mines and i see you had too from a photo), and i found they are not heavy at all .
I wonder how much they weight , i thought to switch to "Oz ultraleggera" but i wonder if they differ in weight so much.

_____
Keep it up ,
i'm with you with the "people asking which car it is ^"
..i answer is Unique ..it's CarLotta (sorry it's a joke with my surnale)
https://www.facebook.com/alessandro.lotta or google Alessandro Lotta , i'm the rocker one Lolz.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's pretty long, but the majority of the work is in the last 10 pages or so. I was slow to get moving on projects!

Well, the coilpacks require either standalone EMS(Such as Haltec or MegaSquirt), or an OBDII conversion to be used. FowlJesse was working on a work-around to use the distributor base for cam triggering, but I am not sure if he ever tested it.

If you are looking to prevent distributor failure, the HEI mod and external coil are probably a more viable option. You can find the information for those here: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53706

The factory wheels aren't ridiculously heavy, but there are definitely lighter wheels available, if you know where to look.
Do you have '94-'96 MX-3s in Italy? The 5 spoke wheels they came standard with are considerably lighter, here's a picture:

The oz ultraleggera wheels ARE lighter than the wheels you currently have, but only in the 15x7, 16x7, and 17x7 sizes. The 15x7 would be a suitable replacement, and keep weight down considerably! They are a nice looking wheel, too.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
alexlotta

Post by alexlotta »

yeah i did look at HEI mod .A guy here is also selling the mod i think , contacted to know about it.
It was the HEi mod that the techs looked at me with a "?" on their face.(Disty already died /replaced with another new NOT-Oem , dunno if it's reliable).*EDIT* I will continue on my thread , im Hijacking yours too much.
______
Anyway post some SPOILERS on the conversion i'm DAMN curious :D !!!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I have been working on this, slowly but surely; I found a local fabricator willing to build me a prototype front subframe and or engine cradle for the conversion.

That leaves the decision of a powerplant... The location of the brake booster makes it tough to squeeze anything wide in there. The MX-6 booster is likely in order, and I am thinking about moving it a few inches towards the driver's wheel-well.

I will share one tidbit of information, and that is my consideration of the SHO V6. I have had a hard time finding accurate measurements of the external dimensions, but I found one locally(w/ trans) that I will be measuring myself in the next week or so.

At this point, I don't care if I have to modify the hood to clear a taller intake, but I am trying very hard to minimize the amount of cutting required to clear the firewall. It's inevitable, but with patience and careful planning, I can keep it to a minimum.

I've already seen signs of what I had expected in regards to this post, and it's honestly quite sad. This community is all but dead, and the general fear of trying anything different plays a large role in the decline.

Just think: If we all focused more on innovative projects, and less on chest-beating and pontificating, comparing who's spent more money or any other idiotic measure of "quality" that people associate with their personal projects, we could actually move FORWARD with these cars.

I would appreciate it if people avoided any negative criticism, at least in THIS thread, in regards to this project. Ideas, small or large are all welcome!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MrMazda92 wrote:my consideration of the SHO V6
Isn't that from a Ford Taurus SHO? You plan on using a Mustang trans?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I honestly cannot wait to see this in person! Such a great idea, have you started fabrication yet? I can't believe I did not see this before!! Nice work Blake, you will not be disappointed with the SHO! It is such a great engine, like a better more modern version of the KL.

I am greatly anticipating this build! *subbed*

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe,
It is indeed from the Taurus, which keeps costs significantly lower than other alternatives. They are a dime a dozen, and pop up from time to time on Craigslist, even.

Josh,
I'm not sinking a red cent into the project at this time, only taking preliminary measurements, and putting together an outline for costs. If I am able to stuff an SHO+trans into the bay with minimal firewall cutting, then I will be willing to set money aside each month for the project. :)

Relocation of the steering rack is almost guaranteed to be necessary, and that is a system that I am hesitant to mess with. My initial thinking was to swap the driver's and passenger side spindles, and relocate the stock rack farther forward... After VERY little research, this already looks to be the largest complication I will be facing... I may end up getting lucky, and having it fall into my lap as a viable option; the odds are heavily against that, however. :/

Honestly, I wish that more members were in my area, because this is quite the undertaking. I have a few local friends that are into the car scene, but they're apprehensive about taking on a project of this size. They are more fond of repairing and flipping cars for a profit; This is more for the experience and the unique factor!

I will be taking bay measurements from a junkyard MX-3 this weekend, and am trying to find an SHO V6 that is already free of the Taurus engine bay. My local yards may overcharge for engines, but for once I am grateful that they yank each and every one upon arrival!

I am happy to see some positive feedback for this project, even if people are hesitant that it will come to fruition. That hesitation is well-founded, especially given the fact that so few attempt this, and only 2(that I know of) have completed the conversion. Hopefully I can contribute something major to the community, and make RWD more easily attainable for everybody on here!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Truth is, the easiest way would be to do what the Subi and Evo guys do. Find an AWD trans pull the front axles and weld the center diff to the rear so its full time RWD. The most challenging of this is really the front cross member. That thing is in the way, and another way of chopping mounting and resupporting needs to happen in order to maintain its rigidity. This was the sole reason I went AWD instead of RWD, once I got down to the nuts and bolts of it, it just made more sense.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What are your plans for the trans? Is there an AWD one in the SHO Taurus?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Here's a pretty good starting point for transmission potential:
The Ranger/B series trans is the most popular choice, but I have seen a few complaints about it's capability.
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=122058
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... f=4&t=7164

If the trans doesn't fit with relatively little floorpan and firewall modification, It's not really worth it for me. I don't mind blowing time and money on a subframe and cradle setup to mount it all up, but the entire point is to keep the MX-3 as stock looking as possible.

If all I wanted was RWD and roughly MX-3 shaped, I'd be driving an RX-7 FC. :P As it is, I've been damned tempted to pick one up locally... I have the money for it, and it's already prepped for an LS conversion. I'd need a few grand to pick up a junk donor car, otherwise I would already be doing it!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

The SHO motor is pretty big I bet its 2x bigger than a KL easily, you tilt it sideways your guaranteed to have to chop up that fire wall, hood, and floorpan for even a small transmission and drive shaft to fit.....or maybe you can try a GT-R approach and put the tranny in the back. This thread is very interesting. Such innovation I cant wait for this to take off. I would of gone the route dan[sac] did and chopped up a miata and meshed it to a MX3. It would be easier than his RWD probe i bet.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well back in the early 00's there was a RWD MX3 that was street driven. He actually cut the body off of an FC at the crimp line. Then the same to the MX3, and welded and reinforced the MX body onto the RX7 floor pan. IMO that is a lot easier than going through modding all the parts the way the RWD probe was done (though it turned out nicely).

The B series trans are weak, the best bet is to swap in FC TT internals onto the B series center shaft and into the B series transmission. It is a direct swap just cumbersome.

There was a kid a few years back that did a full SHO RWD by dropping it straight into the rear of the car. He had it running, though I dont think he ever got it drivable.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”