New wheels tyre size advice

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
RX8SE3P

New wheels tyre size advice

Post by RX8SE3P »

Hi, I'm going for some 16 inch wheels soon. With a bit of luck they will be +35 or +40, I'm having a look at them tomorrow. I'm on stock ride height and don't plan to lower.

I need advice on tyre size - Closest to stock would be 205/50 and I'm sure that would have zero fitment issues.

However, for the sake of grip on my KLZE - would 225/50 or 225/55 fit without rubbing? Would it feel slower due to the increased width? I could even go 205/55/16. Just more options with 16 inch, whereas 15 inch I can only really use 205/55 or 205/50 and it's harder to source tyres of that width for reasonable prices.

Or should I just use stock mags and forget 16 inch?

Performance > Looks for me
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: New wheels tyre size advice

Post by RobMinhas »

Ryan used 225/50r16s on his +40 16x7s and he had to put 5mm spacers on each corner and still had rubbing issues. Not sure if it was rubbing on which component but he also had to roll his fenders, something you'd probably have to do too even if you're at factory ride height.

http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=285

My guess is that most of the rubbing is happening in the front splash guard area.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I had 225/50/15's on mine with a +42 at 6.5" wide. I would suggest 225/45/16's

+35 you should not have any rubbing issues. +40 is cutting it close and you may need spacers.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I just got 205/50/16 on 16x7 rims and they are quite tall. IMO if I could do over I would get 205/45/16... that would be perfect. 225 is too wide unless you are planning on racing on them :roll:
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

thanks for the info! I don't plan on racing so I will stick with 205's.

I'll probably get whatever is cheaper with the 45 vs 50, no point paying 150 more just for the difference between 50 and 45 if it's the exact same model of tyre.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Polonius
antispam: No

Post by Polonius »

I'm always a fan of undersizing the diameter to increase the effective torque, but no one ever seems to talk about that. :shrug:
1993 MX-3
B6 SOHC
170,000 k
Manual tranny
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Well, the rims I just bought are ok and light. BUT found out they are 15. I am still happy though, they are light and the same as the stock ones so we may indeed talk about undersizing lol

205/50/15 anyone :lol:

EDIT: Thinking of Kumho KU31 as they're meant to be pretty decent and have good wet and dry grip. Just a matter of 205/55 or 205/50. Opinions of which will perform better? They're relatively cheap both ways. The 205/50 is W speed rated instead of V and is $6 cheaper per tyre which is not a lot I guess!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

225's juststraight up don't fit in the rear wheel wells with stock struts. With less than 1cm clearance to strut it will still rub on the rear bumper flange in the well. It gets less and less with time though, haha.

My fronts are 225/50/16 in an effective +45. I rub on the inner fender in two places,on the inner fender (wore it down to metal) and through the splash guard where the centre of the tire would be if pointed straight. This is only on the right side due to how our rack goes.

Bottom line if you want to maintain OE diameter you're going to want to go with a 215.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Ryan - I am not understanding how you are rubbing? It has to be your wheels at +45. I was running 225/50/15's on the GS with OE Tokico strut housings with rim size of 15x7.5 +42 and I was not rubbing anywhere, this size is the same OD as 15" OE wheel and tire combo. Running a 225/55 I could see rubbing, but I ran 215/70/16's on the RS with lowing springs for a winter and I only rubbed in a tight turning radius.

To say 225's straight up don't fit is not correct, as they fit just fine if you have a proper offset and ride height. I would say as long as your wheels are at least 7-8" wide with an offset of +30 to +40 you should be in the clear (fender rolling may be required). Most tire shops will test fit tires for you also.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I've stuck with 15x6 wheels so no 225's since I won't be using them .

BUT I guess it would be good to know for other people, so go ahead with the discussion :welder:
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Mooneggs wrote: 225 is too wide unless you are planning on racing on them :roll:
I do race on them :D
Josh wrote: To say 225's straight up don't fit is not correct, as they fit just fine if you have a proper offset and ride height.

Ah, forgot to mention I'm on H&R's.

Rub is only with significant steer or significant bump with a bit of steer. No rubbing on full brake dive.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Ryan wrote:
Josh wrote: To say 225's straight up don't fit is not correct, as they fit just fine if you have a proper offset and ride height.

Ah, forgot to mention I'm on H&R's.

Rub is only with significant steer or significant bump with a bit of steer. No rubbing on full brake dive.

Well that makes sense. If I could go wider than 225 I would.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”