sticky lifter?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaspeed23
antispam: No

sticky lifter?

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

Alright,

Another opinions needed. I have a 94 mx-3 W/ klze I know they normally have a knocking sound to them, but I have a really bad ticking sound coming from the passenger side engine, at first I thought it was the lower engine, but I looked into it farther and its from the top. I assumed it was a sticky lifter so I used a little bit of diesel into the oil filler and ran it for about 20 mins then did a new oil change/ filter etc. It seemed to calm it down, but now its ticking bad again kinda loud. Can the klze be lashed?
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
davmac

Re: sticky lifter?

Post by davmac »

K engines use hydraulic lifters that automatically adjust (assuming they are not gunked up and fill with oil). There is no adjusting for valve clearance like with solid lifters.

I doubt you have a bad lifter. More likely - given the location of the noise you have a bad friction gear spring.

I think these are the best links for info and how to replace the fgs:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34786
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=75440
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-genera ... embly.html
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

how long of a job does this usually take?
and would this be caused by sitting for a long period of time?
the car sat for almost 3 years ( with being started up once in a while)
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

davmac

Post by davmac »

Oh - with that additional information it may be a sticky hydraulic lash adjuster (HLA). The HLAs depend on oil pressure filling them up through some tiny passages. If you don’t change oil often or maybe let the car sit for a long period those tiny passages could become clogged. You would end up with a collapsed lifter and the noise. Removing the lifters to clean or replace OR replacing the friction gear spring is a pretty involved job. Intake manifold and timing belt is typically removed for either of these jobs.
If it were me I would try some Auto-RX. It takes the place of some of your oil and is supposed to do a great job of internal cleaning. I like this stuff because it just stays in your oil for the length of an oil change. If you’re lucky the Auto-RX cleans up your lifters, the ticking goes away and no other repairs are necessary.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

maybe try running some engine flush and then filling up with 5W40 oil. What weight oil are you using?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Timing belt tensioner.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Get a screwdriver and while the engine is running put it to the cylinder head and put your ear on it, then do the same with the timing cover. Depending on where the sound is louder/clearer that's where your problem is.

My k8s timing belt tensioner adjuster went, stupid POS stranded my pops on the highway. :oops:
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

@davmac when the car was on the road i changed the oil every 5-7k's. the car sat with the same oil in it for the 3 years, but i put some diesel in her with the old oil, then changed the oil. does Canadian tire sell that Auto-RX stuff?
@mitmaks i usually use 5w30 and its always synthetic oil
@Daninski i was thinking that, but as @RobMinhas mentioned i use a stethoscope and i can hear it over the timing belt, but not as loud as i can on the last side of the intake port on the passenger side. here is a picture with an arrow where the noise is coming from like a bitc* [img][IMG]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z397/moneyshot23/1289942839_55967075_1-Pictures-of--OLXCOM-JDM-MAZDA-KLZE-MOTOR-AT-TRANSMISSION-ALL-CANADA-FREE-SHIPPING-1289942839_zpsaa59fb84.jpg[/img][/img]
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”