New to upgrading my Mazda MX-3 1.6L 4 cyl, any advice??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
BluntB
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

New to upgrading my Mazda MX-3 1.6L 4 cyl, any advice??

Post by BluntB »

I'm looking to upgrade the Mazda MX-3 4cyl 1.6L, I figure I'll start with a cool air intake upgrade and a low resistance exhaust upgrade, then move on to all new braking system and eventually a new engine! (everything now is stock by the way).

I was just hoping for advice on brands to look for as far as cool air intake kits and exhaust kits go. Maybe even a website or two that are reliable for quality parts! Thanks for the help!!
Demonic1

Re: New to upgrading my Mazda MX-3 1.6L 4 cyl, any advice??

Post by Demonic1 »

90-93 Acura Integra cold air intake works with a little bit of modification.

Exhaust-wise, I would say that you're putting the cart before the horse. But if you're going to be swapping in a BP at a later date, then the GS exhaust setup should be pretty nice on there...
You're also not going to get much accomplished with the stock exhaust manifold.
Or the stock cat. convertor.

The exhaust upgrade is probably going to cost you too much to make it worthwhile before the engine swap.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
BluntB

Post by BluntB »

Yeaa I eventually want the bp-t engine, but I don't have 3grand Layin around right now so I was looking to make some simple upgrades that would carry over after I switch my engine out. I know upgrading
A car isn't cheap but I know cool air and exhaust are simple upgrades which is why I brought those up
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

BPT shouldn't cost you three grand. The amount a CAI and exhaust will run you can cover a BP. Then you can slowly accumulate parts to go boost. Could be done for 1500.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I think when your starting with a stock car like that its best to go for some nice footwork parts first where youll get the most enjoyment and maintain your reliability. Once you get bored of the shocks brakes and tires then go for the performance bits, nothings better than diving a corner harder than a faster car b/c you can have the confidence in your suspension when they let off.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
BluntB

Post by BluntB »

I think that's what I'm going to do is mess with the suspension and brakes, then go for the body kit stuff, THEN move onto the engine. The only thing is that the B6-T, BP-T, and BPD-T engines are hard to find!! I've been scouring the Internet and I'm finding almost nothing!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Just make your own bpt, it's tough to find them an I only lucked out getting mine but just source a BP them go on clubprotege.com and buy an exhaust manifold intake manifold, ecu, turbo and injectors for a turbo which are fairly common.

B6ts ate stupid rare because of their age and rarity of the 323 gtx in North America.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Savin

Post by Savin »

The 90's Mercury Capri XR2 was also a B6-T.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Savin wrote:The 90's Mercury Capri XR2 was also a B6-T.
How many of those have you seen before?

I don't think I've seen a single one before but I think I've seen a late 80s 323 GTX with the b6t on kijiji. Other then that I've only ever seen one b6t and it wasn't factory.
Savin

Post by Savin »

I see more Capri XR2's driving around than I do MX-3s where I live. They pop up frequently on Craigslist in the Chicago area as well. I was thinking about buying one before I bought 93SOHC's car.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I'm will Sleeper6 on this one!! Get your cars maintenance done first before you go an throw a BPT in there. Build your car from the ground up!! It may take alittle longer but will last you in the long run, it took me 2 years of my car sitting before I could drive it because I replaced everything front to back!
Suspension or brakes is a good place to start.
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Is your car a SOHC or DOHC?

With an older car like this I am with these guys, I would start where your car needs maintenance first, replacing parts that need replacing with better parts. With the RS brakes are always a good place to start, especially by eliminating the rear drums for the GS rear disk. The last thing you want is to go through all the time and money to upgrade your performance items then have something like brakes or struts set you back.

With the exhaust, if you upgrade it now then you will only want to go no larger than like 2", but if you plan on running a BPT then you will want like 2.5". My advice would be to find the muffler you like or want and only change that for the time being. At least you will have to cool sound :)

Also use the search function just under the banner. There is a lot of info on BPT swaps, I actually would recommend using an N/A BP and turboing that. You make a lot more power and they are almost as strong.
jaydog is back
antispam: No

Post by jaydog is back »

Just buy mine! :mrgreen: I have everything an Mx-3 needs. Turbo BP, 300hp, Upgraded brakes, Mazdaspeed suspension, etc., etc...
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You guys all skipped the first step.

READ. EVERYTHING.

Read every post in the 4Cyl section twice and you'll have a pretty good idea what's going on.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

wytbishop wrote:You guys all skipped the first step.

READ. EVERYTHING.

Read every post in the 4Cyl section twice and you'll have a pretty good idea what's going on.
+1

I messed around asking the wrong kind of questions for far too long before I started reading. The amount of information on this forum is astounding, almost everything you would ever need to know is somewhere on this site.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”