SOHC gasket set (ebay)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Surgeonasst222
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

SOHC gasket set (ebay)

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

I am going to be replacing a lot if stuff soon... Gaskets were in my list!

I found a set on ebay, but I always ask here before I buy stuff from ebay for safety sake!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400480504511

Thanks guys!

Kegan
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
RobMinhas

Re: SOHC gasket set (ebay)

Post by RobMinhas »

That price instantly make me suspicious.

I paid around $100 I think for a top line gasket set which was a decent deal and $45 just seems way too low to trust.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

for a B6 i say do it.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

RobMinhas wrote:That price instantly make me suspicious.

I paid around $100 I think for a top line gasket set which was a decent deal and $45 just seems way too low to trust.
I don't need top of the line... This isn't a dd just will be a weekend fun summer car when I am done...

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Going through the effort or building the engine with new gaskets, then buying new head studs only to have a cheap head gasket blow isn't a fun time. You'll have to pull off the head and get new head bolts.

Or worse yet, valve stem seals fail, pull the head, pull the lifters and then remove valves to install them. Not a fun time.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Rob's got a point, really you should just do an engine swap =)
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Well they don't need to be done just wanting to do them while I am going everything else :)

Is there a set u guys could recommend?

My engine has 79k on it I don't need a engine swap ;)

Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Surgeonasst222 wrote:My engine has 79k on it I don't need a engine swap ;)
your engine has 88hp, you need an engine swap lol
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Evo_Spec wrote:
Surgeonasst222 wrote:My engine has 79k on it I don't need a engine swap ;)
your engine has 88hp, you need an engine swap lol
Don't understand y I would swap a perfect engine out for another...

I have no plans in boosting or swapping anytime soon, just cuz the HP is low doesn't mean it is trash...

So if u could post a nice gasket set for my SOHC, that would be great.

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

88hp makes the car about as fun as a ride on lawnmower, s--- I've got the DOHC and that feels slows as f---.

If you go topline.com you can buy a complete set from them, I don't think ARP or any other notable brand makes head bolts so you may have to find some OEM or close to OEM head bolts.

Honestly with the amount of time and money this will cost you, just stick in a BP...

And why are you even doing a head gasket on a 77k SOHC?
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Post by wednesdayslatest »

ive replaced all my gaskets i got them from ebay for pretty cheap, although ive had to go back and redo a lot of them. i just went to the mazda dealer to get it or the autoparts store.
(the injector o rings were incorrect with the one i got so i had to get some at the autoparts store that worked perfect.)
as for the headgasket i dont think i had a problem with it although i crossed the coolant and gas lines so i had to replace it again anyways (that point i got it from the mazda dealer or the auto parts store i forgot)

my only advice is just pay close attention to the gasket shapes and what not (dont want to put in the wrong gasket, especially headgasket)

there were some gaskets i didnt use just because i didnt need to touch that

one thing i noticed about this set you listed was is was missing a metal gasket that goes to the intake mani. the gasket for the top and bottom half...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-323-CA-En ... f9&vxp=mtr

personally id go with this and whatever you dont use dont worry just hold onto it, and anything else just get it from the mazda dealer, this set should have mostly everything you need its a little cheaper (i just searched 93 mazda mx3 1.6L sohc gesket set) not sure if you have a different year that may vary

also not sure (its been a while since i did it) i BELIEVE the head has special bolt heads (so you might need a socket for that) i used someones torque wrench to put the head on but thats it everything else i did without it (which is not good i need to get a torque wrench myself theyre very useful)

hope all goes well with your engine, if anything take pictures so you can put things back together the right way (the 2nd time i did it it took me two half days of working on it) GOODLUCK!
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Just need a 12 point socket for the head bolts.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”