AC problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
grim760
antispam: No

AC problem

Post by grim760 »

What's up guys, I hope I'm in the right category, but I could be wrong. It's summer time down here in San Diego and having a black car without air conditioning sucks. So when I turned on the ac the other day at a red light it started shaking pretty bad. I step on the gas and it goes away. It's not that cold but it's cold enough to where I don't sweat. I hope it just needs a recharge but judging by the shaking, I imagine it's not that simple. The shaking also stops when I put it in neutral if that makes a difference. So could it be something as simple as a loose bolt, and a recharge or am I going to have to shell out some big money to keep cool? It's also an automatic if that makes a difference.
wednesdayslatest

Re: AC problem

Post by wednesdayslatest »

normally the shaking would just be because the pulley is spinning. although if its getting stuck a little bit or hesitating it could shake more.
the shake could just be worse because of a engine or transmission mount that keeps it from shaking and the fact the ac is shaking the engine there isint much of a bushing holding it steady.
personally if its not that bad i would recharge the system but then you might end up wasting money (although the ac was never disconnected so it should still be good internally (if you get any sand or dust in there its all over))
also how i found out my ac was bad when you take the belt off and spin the pulley the way it spins you can tell if the bearing is bad (it could be that) if its the bearing i would just get another one or just use it till it breaks
really i never messed with ac too much because ive rarely had a working ac my entire life lol
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

When it's shaking did you notice what is your idle? Does it go down when you turn on your A/C? It might be as simple as A/C switch. When your A/C is turned on this switch tells engine to raise rpms so that your engine can bear load of A/C being on. If it's not working properly it might make your engine stumble or even die.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wednesdayslatest

mitmaks wrote:When it's shaking did you notice what is your idle? Does it go down when you turn on your A/C? It might be as simple as A/C switch. When your A/C is turned on this switch tells engine to raise rpms so that your engine can bear load of A/C being on. If it's not working properly it might make your engine stumble or even die.
the ac switch is the one that in the center vent? literally the button you press to turn on the ac? (because i have no use for mine now i took it out)
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

A/C pressure switch, located on A/C refrigerant line inside engine bay.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wednesdayslatest

when i get under the engine ill look again im not sure i removed that if its not part of the ac line. there IS (on one of my cars) a green cap on a little metal square looking thing i think against the firewall on the passanger side in the engine bay. im going to have to relook at my whole engine bay theres a few things i wanted to check out and take some pictures. thanks

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”