Overheat Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
colt45
antispam: No

Overheat Problem

Post by colt45 »

My mx3 overheats sometimes for only a minute and then goes back to normal. Sometimes the heat shuts off too as well as the occasional engine light.
There is also a burning plastic smell if that's related at all?

*1994 Mx3 gs, v6 1.8L

Any help would be great!
Thanks!
wednesdayslatest

Re: Overheat Problem

Post by wednesdayslatest »

im for sure its the thermostate

it really sounds like it v6 or i4 doesnt matter if you turn your heat on even tho it doesnt work then the heat should drop to normal

also i had heating issues too

if the heat goes on and off then its a thermo and maybe you want to flush and put new coolant as well. make sure your headgasket is good still

keep up with oil changes make sure the oil doesnt have coolant in it and makes sure the coolant doesnt have oil in it if the coolant is brown like mine was then you need a new headgasket and do that sooner then later or else youll have to replace the head

also since your looking at it i know its not part of it make sure your valve covers arnt leaking oil leaks can only come from three places valve cover, head gasket, and oil pan gasket

hope this helps you out

the thermo is inside the thermo housing thats two bolts it comes right now i think there might be a sensor on it too mine does but i have a SOHC i had to put a new sensor in it as well my plug for it was no good so i put a female connector crimped it a little to fit the pin and shoved it in, it works fine without the plug as long as the end is on that pin and isint loose then its good
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
DRAG323

Post by DRAG323 »

Ckeck prestone on your rad ?
Thermostat
pattheriault

Post by pattheriault »

air bubble in your system?
wednesdayslatest

Post by wednesdayslatest »

also your gonna need a thermo housing gasket too, forgot to mention. if you do take out the housing which you most likely will. check for leaks maybe. or check to make sure the radiator isint old because sometimes theyll leak out slowly internally, and bring your level down. you wont even know and there wont be any coolant on the ground or just barely.
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
DRAG323

Post by DRAG323 »

Solve the problem?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”