okay guys i need everyones help that put in a KLZE !

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tfries-cc
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

okay guys i need everyones help that put in a KLZE !

Post by Tfries-cc »

ok, i have a mazda MX3, i blew the k8 so i got a KLZE from tiger JDM. (less than 40k ) and i m fairly experienced with engine swaps due to owning a duster and swaping it twice lol..( way different ) so i unplugged everything on the k8 (plugs wires) and labeled it. un did the engine mounts and slid her out, then i took the tranny swapped it on the KLZE and put the K8 intake/exaust/ distributor on the new KLZE! and put it in connected everything, starter sensors etc... BUT i have 2 wires up by where i put the coolant in that i labeled as (HEAT) and no place for them. . then there is another one with out a female by my intake housing. and it is identicle to the one on the other side (heat one) so i hopped in my driverseat and cranked it, all i could smell was gass.. and sounded like no spark.. anyways long story short too now. i got good mechanic in and he tested my coil all wires everything possible on the distributor... and theres power going through the plugs and into the distributor. and it wont spark. idn whats wrong guys.. new pluggs and all that too.. and i think it has something to do with ECU,? i have heard ppl talking about it during the swap and i dindt change anything.. do i need to change my ecu or what? where do i get one????? im stuck guys or is this even the problem?
jbud1291

Re: okay guys i need everyones help that put in a KLZE !

Post by jbud1291 »

I havent done the swap though i will be soon...but from what i understand and have read u will need a different MAF...As far as the ecu goes it should run on a k8 ecu but it will be restricted...look into a kl31 ecu or maybe even an aftermarket plug n play...one of the more experienced guys will hopefully post some info they will be much more help...and dont.forget to look around on the forum there is alot of good how-to threads....good luck!
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

As far as your 2 connections by the coolant neck and only seeing 1, you have a different coolant neck from the k8, they came with 1 and 2 coolant sensors. Either you can swap in the old neck from the k8, or drill and tap the hole for the 2nd sensor. A klze will run on a k8 ecu, but not very well, a kl31 or kl36 are the factory ecus but you use the same vaf as the k8 so you are safe there. Make sure you do not have your fuel lines on backwards, almost everyone has done that here. Most of the wiring is the same between most engines, but pics would definately help us pinpoint the missing connections to make sure. What year is your mx? there is some minor differences in wiring as well. Make sure your timing is on the marks and you have your firing order correct. Make sure you are getting spark through your plug wires and you have good clean grounds.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Tfries-cc

Post by Tfries-cc »

I hve no spark. And my coil works. I got a mechanic to check it. And no power is going to the part where you put the plugs on the distributor. He thinks the ecu isn't giving. Signl to spark for some reson. Idn what to do
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The other wire is probably for your crank sensor, bottom front on passengers side of engine. Take pics of the wires your unsure of and we will point you in the right direction. You can drill and tap threads for the second heat sensor on the flat section beside the coolant neck. I stuffed a rag down the neck so drillings wouldn't contaminate the cooling system and I vacuumed it out between drilling and after tapping it. It's not a pipe thread either so take the sensor some place like a machine shop and get the proper size/type of thread tap. Entire job takes like 5 mins. You have to use that sensor, there's no work around. Good luck.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

One sensor on the coolant filler neck side is for your fan switch sensor and will need to be removed from your K8. You will need to determine the thread size of the sensor and drill and tap into neck in the exact location as your K8. This sensor only tells fan when to turn on and off and without it plugged in the fan stays on. The other sensor is for your knock sensor and that plugs into the connector on the other side of the engine that you said has the mating connector. Under the intake manifold is the knock sensor and has a cable tie that you need to cut to give you more length so you can bring it over to the other side of the engine. I can't remember if its long enough without splicing and adding more wire, but may have to. As for your no start issue have you got all grounds hooked up including the one down on the drivers side by the fuel lines / thermostat? I had this problem and resulted in a no start. How long has distributor from or old K8 not been in use? Also did you need to swap over your K8 crank sensor? Get the knock sensor fixed and go from there as your K8 ecu may not be getting some signals it needs to send spark. I do know that you don't need the fan switch hooked up for the engine to run. I will try to help pinpoint your problem with you so keep us posted.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Just re-read your post and noticed you said you had no power on the wire harness where it plugs into distributor. Again it could be because of one or more of your sensors not being connected that the ecu needs to read in order to send spark. I assume the K8 originally had no spark or ecu problems etc. Also need to double check them grounds cause I'm thinking you forgot to hook up that ground below the distributor near where the fuel lines go into the fuel rails. I don't think its your ecu say if everything checks out and you get those sensors hooked up properly, I would say try a known good distrinbutor. :)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

mx3_ryder wrote:One sensor on the coolant filler neck side is for your fan switch sensor and will need to be removed from your K8. You will need to determine the thread size of the sensor and drill and tap into neck in the exact location as your K8.
Did you not read my reply or do you just like to reiterate what's already been said in your own words. :werd:
Anyway post a couple of pics so we can see which wires your talking about.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

I think he started writing before you posted, if you look at the times it makes sense and has happened to me on a few occasions.

The two temp sensor issue... my setup is backwards apparently, cause my fan works awesome, but my car runs rich. Do you guys know what the forward sensor is called or have a part number for it? cause the two connectors arn't interchangable...and my K8 has been gone for years :(
Ive searched many sites and I only seem to find the one for the fan. I would have posted in my own thread but you guys are all ready on the topic :|
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Are you sure that the rotor in the distributor is turning? If everything electrical checks out, maybe your Tiger Japanese motor has a stripped timing belt.

Take the disty cap off and crank the engine. Make sure it's actually turning.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Daninski wrote:
mx3_ryder wrote:One sensor on the coolant filler neck side is for your fan switch sensor and will need to be removed from your K8. You will need to determine the thread size of the sensor and drill and tap into neck in the exact location as your K8.
Did you not read my reply or do you just like to reiterate what's already been said in your own words. :werd:
Anyway post a couple of pics so we can see which wires your talking about.
I was already typing before you posted like Pritchett said. Look at the times, no need for the smart comment since we are all just trying to help one another...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Good thought wytbishop. TigerJap, well we all know their story. :evil:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daninski wrote:TigerJap, well we all know their story.
Stories.... :freak:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”