KLZE exhaust pipe size?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

KLZE exhaust pipe size?

Post by mx3_ryder »

What is the best exhaust pipe size to use for a NA KLZE? I currently have 2 inch.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE exhaust pipe size?

Post by MrMazda92 »

It varies based on what your goals are.

Be prepared for many posts of "2.5>2.25" or "2.25>2.5".
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

There are posts/web sites that go into detail on how this is calculated. For a 2.5 non aspirated engine with the horsepower the ZE has 2.25" is touted as being optimum. Some will say 2.5" will allow the engine to reach peak power better at higher RPMs. Bottom line is, unless .2 - .4 of a second in the quarter mile is important to you 2.25 is probably fine, IMO.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to ... eter/#easy

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

One final comment. The ZE runs rich with either a KL31-36 or the Probinator chipped ECU and our curved neck intake. I have a 2.5" exhaust and you'll find that with the increase in exhaust flow the issue of a rich running engine is exasperated.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

the ze always runs rich?!?!? Almost everyone with a ZE has those combinations...

How could we get it to proper fuel delivery. A FPR? or Megasquirt? or is there a simpler fix?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

kulluminati777 wrote:the ze always runs rich?!?!? Almost everyone with a ZE has those combinations...

How could we get it to proper fuel delivery. A FPR? or Megasquirt? or is there a simpler fix?
Not sure what your saying but if this is the first you've heard of ZE's running rich then you've been living under a rock,,,I meant that in a nice way tho :wink: I have to say that my 96 OBD2 with a KL02 vaf and 2.25 exhaust ran almost spot on as they say.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Yeah 2 1/4 is probably optimum, but I have 2 inch.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya size matters but only to a point. The parts you buy are important too. Quality high flow cat and a well fitting system with the exception of that $158.00 SS headers from Ebay. They're cheap and they rock. :2thumbsup:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

2" makes for a torque monster, but you will feel it drop off above 5-5,500 ish RPMs.

For a relatively stock KL, I would personally stick with 2.25" pipe, but it really depends on your goals. Street driven only, I would say 2.25".
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I noticed differences when I went from a straight through exhaust to the MS back box and a real resonator... It dropped off in the high end.

The truth is it would not matter if we had a properly tuned full length headers available. but seeing as all there is is a universal ebay headers available, you need to use the rest of the exhaust to attain the goals you are looking for. I am running 2.5" all the way back to a none baffled corkscrew style resonator and then to the MS back box which is 2" ID. I have been contemplating running a 3" midpipe and cutting open the MS back box and making it a proper 2.5" but I am too lazy at this point. :) perhaps when I convert the piping to mandrel SS.

kulluminati777 - You can solve the richness with a piggyback system.
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

2.5'' I find works wonders that's what im running with and a highflow cat and reactive muffler sounds amazing
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I'm running 2.25 and it seems quite good.

As for the richness. I would have agreed, but I'm going to dyno again after all my errors are fixed. I ran 11.5 AFR and then it dipped to 10 or so in the higher rev range. I found I had a faulty knock sensor and O2 sensor code also. These would have to affect the AFR by at least a point or two.

If my engine ran at 12-13:1 AFR all the way, I'd say that's not too rich.

Many dyno graphs on probetalk show people running from 12-14:1 AFR with chipped ECU's on their KLZEs. Perhaps there are a number of us running with error codes and richness can be fixed without using megasquirt and other ECU management.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ok, running rich is not a problem of the kl engine. ALL engines run rich.
That's because of at least 2 reasons (there may be more, but I'm not an engineer, so I don't know them):

1. Fuel is heavier than air, therefore, it has a higher inertia. To prevent a lean condition on sudden acceleration, ECU's are calibrated to run a slightly rich mixture.

2. A stricly stoichiometric mixture burns very hot. A little unburned fuel acts as coolant, especially for the exhaust valves, that have pretty much no other way to cool down.

Then, on the issue of the exhaust pipe diameter, there's an eternal compromise between exhaust gas velocity and restriction.
An engine produces more exhaust gases the higher RPM it runs at (yeah, duh!). That means that restriction will increase with RPM.
But to achieve a good exhaust gas velocity (and, with it, a good cylinder scavenging effect), you need to impart energy to the gases, which means restriction.
So, if you have a smaller diameter pipe, you will get a higher gas velocity at lower RPM. That will translate into better scavenging, better cylinder filling, and, ultimately, better torque, at those lower RPM. Perfect for street use, or for racing on very twisty tracks, where low end torque is way more important than final speed.
On the other hand, if you have a bigger pipe, your high RPM horsepower and torque will increase because now that "sweet spot" when perfect gas velocity means perfect cylinder filling moves up the RPM range (because you need to produce more gases, so they can move fast enough down the exhaust pipe), and because the pipe is less restrictive at those higher RPM, but your low end torque will suffer, because, in the low RPM range, there's just not enough gases being produced, to achieve a suitable gas velocity, and, with it, a good scavenging of the combustion chamber. That'd be a good setup for a NASCAR engine, for example, but not for a street car.

So, like MM92 said, there's no "perfect pipe diameter" for a given engine. The best pipe diameter is dictated by your application, and, even then, it's never "perfect", but just the best compromise.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”