Hit black ice, then hit a curb, now no cluster...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
BuGS

Hit black ice, then hit a curb, now no cluster...

Post by BuGS »

Ok, so driving around at a racing 15mph, I hit some black ice on a turn and went straight into a curb. Well Was able to drive the next 100ft to my boss's house and drop something off, go out to check the wheel, Rim lip is bent and I can feel cracking (That is just awesome...). So, I get back in my car to drive back to my house I get in and the seatbelts don't work (auto), the Tach and Coolant guage doesn't work, my signals and none of the lights on the side work when I start it up or try to see if any codes are flashing. I checked the fuses in the dark, and checked to make sure none of the ECU clips are falling out, and I can't see any. My SAFCII is my tach for the moment, but is there a fuse that might have blown? I checked all the relays and they were fine.

Thanks... :(
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

I have no idea what might be wrong, but you have my sympathy :cry:
Vroooom
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Ya, I am totally confused, no seat belts, only half the cluster works (no warning lights :shock: ) And my blinkers don't work.... If it was a fuse I would expect none of the guages to work but the fuel one still works...
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Damb, you really did it this time. did you try the big fuses under the hood? maybe a wire came loos on the back of your cluster. so much for thoes bad a-- miata wheels now you only have 3. lol
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

The Tail fuse controls the side markers, The Hazard and Meter fuse control your turn signals. If my memory is right all three of those are in the driver side kick panel area. While your down there you might as well check the rest of your fuses. The seatbelts are probly on the room fuse, but i've never had a problem with mine so I could be wrong.

Hopefully fixing one of those will solve your problem, but it unfortunatly sounds a little worse. And then theres allways your allignment. :?
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Josh wrote:Damb, you really did it this time. did you try the big fuses under the hood? maybe a wire came loos on the back of your cluster. so much for thoes bad a-- miata wheels now you only have 3. lol
I am pissed... :cry:

and ya I checked the Seatbelt fuse and a couple other ones that seemed to be the ones to check....
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

That is very weird.. The car still runs but nothing else works..
You might have screwed up one of the main relays in the fuse box.. Have them checked out..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Ok.. I have a body electrical troubleshooting guide here.. its for a 95 but its likely that the wiring is similar if not the same.
Does your fuel gauge actually work or is it just stuck in place? Have you seen it move?
It says here that voltage comes from your ignition key and then goes to a 15 amp fuse.. From there it travels right to your insturment cluster.. According to this.. the power wire that feeds your insturment cluster goes to the rear wiper and washer, turn and hazard warning lights, brake lights, high mount brake lights and backup lights, then to the ignition key illumination, and finally your cigarette lighter.
It seems that this is either a fault with your ignition or theres a break in the wire. What you have to do is buy a test light (7 bucks at wal mart) connect it to a ground and then use the probe to touch off the little area of metal that you can see on the top of the fuse for the 15A meter. If the light turns on on both terminals then there is a break after that fuse pannel. If it dosent light up then you have a problem with either your ignition or the wiring coming from it. Check that out.. Its unlikely its a relay or anything at this point..
When I go up to my car tomorrow Ill get the wiring diagrams for the 93 out of it and have a look and see if its the same.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Might sound kinda "duh-ish" but have you checked the actual bulbs? Maybe the jolt knocked them loose? I don't know your situation sounds quite unique :(
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Try the BTN fuse in the main fuse block. It protects:
seatbelts
taillights
stop lights
door locks
hazard
"room" (clock, key reminder, hatch light, etc)
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Hazards still work, just no flashers, or instrument panel. I'll check that 15amp fuse again. It is weird....
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Fuse 9 "meter" does the flashers (the hazards are on a different fuse).

It also does the instrument cluster, defogger, rear washer, PASSIVE SEAT BELTS, cruise control.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Hey Bugs - replace the fuse anyway - don't just check it because it still might look ok.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Ya, looked the fuse up in my FSM. But ya, fuse looked good but was bad (Blew just on the side so you couldn't see it unless you were looking for it). It blew because I have a huge (like 1 7/8") wrench under my seat instead of a bat and it hit the seatbelt wiring harness just riught and broke a couple wires off which broke the fuse. So no seat belts and no instrument panel. Also took my wheel off and set it back to where I thought it should be (Hopefully it is right). And that is about that. However, now when i tap the gas while in gear and going there is a crack like a driveshaft bearing is going out on the passenger side... hopefully it is just the drivers side cause that one is already bad for sure.
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: Hit black ice, then hit a curb, now no cluster...

Post by wednesdayslatest »

hey i also lost my cluster lights (put a fuse in the marker/cluster light fuse it got burned to s--- thats been fixed now but i pulled out the cluster thinking it was the bulbs and theyre good so its somthing else i need it to pass inspection asap i got some white with blue gague things that i open my cluster and put them in now i need to figure out where to get the power from to make them work correctly instead of on a switch so i was wondering WHERE i can connect the power to make it work flawlessly, i was thinking more or less the switch itself i want to know what color the wire is that i need to connect to thats behind the light control switch at my steering wheel. i have a 93 i know the wire colors vary by year if someone can help me out this is my last step to FINALLY get the damn thing to pass inspection
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”