Career Advise - Trades - BC/Alta

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
tehbrookzorz

Career Advise - Trades - BC/Alta

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Hey guys, not a normal mx-3.com topic, but any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to network and talk to people who can coach me into the trades, and I think a lot of the time its more about who you know than anything else, especially in Alberta, from what I can tell. I'm looking at possibly getting into electrical, machining, millwright or welding. I'm in SE BC, but willing to look at relocating if it's worth while. Any thoughts?

PM me if you have some advise. Thanks in advance.

Cody
Cody
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Career Advise - Trades - BC/Alta

Post by RobMinhas »

Dude, you should attend an open house at SAIT in Calgary. I've volunteered for the try a skill in the school of transportation at them for the last three years and they've got everything you just mentioned. I've got a bunch of friends who go there too and I've heard nothing but good things, kids who spent their entire school careers hating class are always gushing about what they've done in class.

They have programs for electricians, millwright, machining work and welding as well as tons of other stuff, diesel mechanics, automotive technician programs, the works.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can swing by and grab a stack of brochures and mail them to you.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Looks like good advise, thank you. I found this: http://www.sait.ca/about-sait/schools/s ... -house.php
I'd feel badly for you to go out of your way, but I do appreciate any help. Does it seem unreasonable to be able to transition from one job to a helper/apprenticeship role without seeing a stop in income, or does one expect to accrue debt while learning a trade?
Cody
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

tehbrookzorz wrote:Looks like good advise, thank you. I found this: http://www.sait.ca/about-sait/schools/s ... -house.php
I'd feel badly for you to go out of your way, but I do appreciate any help. Does it seem unreasonable to be able to transition from one job to a helper/apprenticeship role without seeing a stop in income, or does one expect to accrue debt while learning a trade?
I don't know when the next one is but it's really worth checking out, I'm glad I went when I was in high shcool, showed me a different aspect of trades.

I'm stopping by tomorrow to visit someone so I'll poke around for some more info.

I think it's difficult to get an apprenticeship for someone in your situation, unless you know someone who is looking for one. It's not impossible to do what you mentioned without a loss of income but I'd think it would be pretty difficult, at least with apprenticeship you can get EI, which helps, but if you're taking a full time or part time program.... not so much since the only help the gov't will give you are student loans and grants.

If you're interested in wrenching on cars the Automotive Service Technology course offers something called a student for a day, where you get to check out what a first year student would do for a day, I can dig up some contact info(I know one of the instructors pretty good) and you could try that out. I'd imagine other programs have the same things, you'd just need to talk to the deans or academic chairs to work it out.

Some guys will take one year/two semesters worth of the trade, then pursue an apprenticeship and get into the trade that way.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'm glad for your enthusiasm. To be truthful, I'm not 100% on automotive, which might be due to a cynical mechanic I work with. Also, I have better luck looking down at my work than up at it with things dripping in my eyes.. Damn eyes.. I have been working in a shop for years as an auto service advisor, and I believe my knowledge of automotive systems has improved a lot over the years, largely thanks to this site. I'm hoping I can transfer some of that knowledge to similar trades. At any rate, any and all knowledge on how to proceed though is huge for me, so please do get back to me with any info you find. I'll PM you my address.

I don't want to be one of those guys who asks for advise but can't take it. I will seriously consider anything you tell me.

--Edit--

I totally just realized you're the guy I dropped the cf hatch off with. Hope you're doin' well!
Cody
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I took the AST program at SAIT it was alright but most of the guys I went there with want to get out of automotives cause once you get in it an start making good money you hate it. Then you don't want to take a pay cut or go back to school! The best thing I ever did was to get out of the automotive trade IMO I love working on cars but not flat rate on other people's! I learned a lot an have paid for my schooling many times over but never regret choosing a different career!
You have to find something you are passionate about that you wont hate doing down the road! I know this probably doesn't help your decision but its the reality about the automotive trade!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Machinists do welding so that trade covers welding to a point but you could go as far with that as you wish. Have you thought of becoming a gas fitter? You could do residential or commercial. I help a guy who started his own company doing HVAC. Very interesting as every job is different. I have a technical back ground, some experience with AC and some experience with electrical so a lot of the trade is familiar to me. Sheet metal's a bit of a bit*h getting into at my age but once again if you have the drive it's not insurmountable. I missed out taking the gas fitter course and now there's no course available in my area. Once you have your tickets you can stick with an established company or venture out on your own.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I have to look into the gas fitter part. I think there are lots of opportunities if I'm willing to relocate. The sentiments about auto mechanics seem to be common. I really enjoy working on my car because I get to experience the reward of what I fixed or improved, but again, working on flat rate for people who don't appreciate or want to pay me sounds unappealing.

I agree with the sentiment of choosing something I truly enjoy. It's hard to justify sticking around for a paycheque if you hate your job.
Cody

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”