1993 MX3 heating issues

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
romeroom
antispam: No

1993 MX3 heating issues

Post by romeroom »

After replacing two thermostats, the symptoms remain the same:

1. If leave the car at idle for 15 minutes or so, the water temp goes up into the normal range nicely, and the air blowing inside is toasty warm.

2. As soon as I start moving and air starts flowing around the engine, the water temp drops way below normal and the air temp blowing inside drops to a lukewarm state--sometimes more cold than warm the outside temp.

Suggestions?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 1993 MX3 heating issues

Post by mitmaks »

Sure thermostat is not stuck open? Maybe try another one.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
romeroom

Post by romeroom »

mitmaks wrote:Sure thermostat is not stuck open? Maybe try another one.
I've gone through 2 new ones. Gotta be something else.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Is your coolant full? Any air bubbles trapped in system, overflow reservoir full? Any coolant leaks anywhere?
I'd pressure test system (you can rent pressure test tool from local parts store)
How cold is it outside? Gotta remember it takes outside air and heats it up, unless it's on recirculate.
Last thing is I would check blend door to see if it fully opens/closes as it should.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

is this a v6?
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Possibly plugged up heater core.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I'm having similar issues (not trying to threadjack) where my car warms up and blows nice warm air. At about 3 miles down the road (@24F) it goes hot and I'm still getting hot air. Then, I think the thermostat opens and it goes back to cold/non-warm air from the heater. Pretty much at no time when I'm at speed does it blow air over 50-60F.
During the warmer days (about 2 months ago) I found a leak in my radiator and ran that stop-leak stuff through it. The leak lessened but I still catch steam coming from under the hood at times. When I swapped my headgasket (for no legit reason) I noticed some strange gunk inside my blocks water passages. I tried to get it out but couldn't get to it all. But it shouldn't STOP my water flow, I hope.

During the summer after I'd built my engine and was putting it in, I flushed the radiator, the hoses, bypass lines and such. And was having cooling issues.

I'm voting for a plugged heater core on mine and probably yours too.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

you should both start with a thorough flush. There are systems you can buy to do this yourself but it's a lot tidier if you take it to a minit lube or someplace like that and it's worth the money.

Ask them to pressure test the system while they're at it and they will. That way you'll know it's clean and flowing well and if there are any leaks.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
romeroom

Post by romeroom »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I agree that a thorough flush is warranted. I will likely try it at home, however with an outside temp of around 25F most days, it makes it uncomfortable at best.

QUESTION: I notice some of the thermostats available have what looks like is an additional small valve to the side. (See http://www.reparts.net/parts/gat-th30688g1). Is this type thermostat necessary?

Thanks again.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Demonic1 wrote:I'm having similar issues (not trying to threadjack) where my car warms up and blows nice warm air. At about 3 miles down the road (@24F) it goes hot and I'm still getting hot air. Then, I think the thermostat opens and it goes back to cold/non-warm air from the heater. Pretty much at no time when I'm at speed does it blow air over 50-60F.
During the warmer days (about 2 months ago) I found a leak in my radiator and ran that stop-leak stuff through it. The leak lessened but I still catch steam coming from under the hood at times. When I swapped my headgasket (for no legit reason) I noticed some strange gunk inside my blocks water passages. I tried to get it out but couldn't get to it all. But it shouldn't STOP my water flow, I hope.

During the summer after I'd built my engine and was putting it in, I flushed the radiator, the hoses, bypass lines and such. And was having cooling issues.

I'm voting for a plugged heater core on mine and probably yours too.
Yes, you are correct sir. Next time you probably wouldn't want to use "stop leak" crap
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

When was the last time you've replaced water pump? Old water pumps sometimes have worn out impeller and it doesn't flow coolant efficiently.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

FYI...replacing the heater core is the number one, top of the list, worst job in the whole car. The entire HVAC console has to come out.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
romeroom

Post by romeroom »

mitmaks wrote:When was the last time you've replaced water pump? Old water pumps sometimes have worn out impeller and it doesn't flow coolant efficiently.
Water pump replace less than 6 months ago.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You might try flushing out cooling system and see if it will improve heat output. If not, you're going to have fun pulling that heater core
romeroom

Post by romeroom »

I decided to bleed the colling system. I removed the radiator cap and added coolant until it was full; not more than a half quart. I turned on the car and let it idle for a while. (There were a few tiny bubbles that surfaced but as the engine warmed up, they went away. As noted before, the temperature gauge went up to the normal range. Air in the cabin was nice and warm--though not blazing hot like my other cars when the engine is at operating temperature.

I moved the temperature selection dial in the car from cold to hot and the cabin air temperature fluctuated accordingly from very cold (it's 7 degrees F outside) to quite warm--again not hot. I felt the radiator hoses, and they were hot to the touch. I felt the heater core hoses at the firewall and they felt quite warm.

So I took the car for a test drive. Within approximately 1/4 of a mile, the coolant temperature indicator went from normal operating temperature to bottoming out in the cold range; cabin air blowing was cool as well with the temperature selector all the way to hot. When I got home--with the car running--I opened the hood and felt the radiator and heater core hoses and all were lukewarm to the touch.

All these symptoms naturally point to a bad thermostat--which I've replaced twice in the last six months. Even if the heater core was partially blocked, wouldn't the engine temperature remain stable, or even in the hot range?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”