Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Evo_Spec

Re: Robs '95 RS Possible Bad Ground?

Post by Evo_Spec »

you should seriously just do the swap now, that'd get rid of all these problems you're having lol
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Yeah man, I should just take pay to have the car towed home, take three weeks off of school, rebuild my (possibly hooped) transmission, source another harness, solder in over 100 connectors for my Haltech ECM, rebuild my head, install head, do all of the timing bulls---, source an exhaust manifold for a bp and then redo all of my grounds for my BP, then pull my engine and transmission and shove the BP in.

Did I mention that besides soldering I don't know how to do any of the stuff I just mentioned?

hahaha, you guys need to lay off, I've never done this before and I don't have the time or know how to do it hahah!
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
diezzel

Post by diezzel »

Burn it and claim it stolen . :shrug:
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

diezzel wrote:Burn it and claim it stolen . :shrug:

I've got my suspicions of what it might be, should get this damn thing going soon if it's an alternator ground.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

have you considered skipping the haltech to just get the thing in and running? half your work is the haltech
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Why bother? Either way I need to get another harness since I gave mine to Tav, I plan on modifying my 95 harness and then wiring the haltech right into it. The Haltech wire job is one or two days at most, I doubt I'll be prepared to stick the BP in until March or April unless I end up getting a lot of work down easter weekend and reading week, and in that case what difference is two days?
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I told you I didn't need your anymore its just siting in my garage waiting for you to pick it up!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
diezzel

Post by diezzel »

I'm just kidding . I can burn it for you ??? :shrug: . What do you think ? Then you can buy one of mine . BC car with a klze . Now that's a plan . :D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Tavman_1213 wrote:I told you I didn't need your anymore its just siting in my garage waiting for you to pick it up!
That saves me one thing haha, when I get my car going Ill have to come pick it up sometiem.
diezzel wrote:I'm just kidding . I can burn it for you ??? :shrug: . What do you think ? Then you can buy one of mine . BC car with a klze . Now that's a plan . :D
Boooo I don't want a v6 I want a turbo! :freak:
diezzel

Post by diezzel »

Then turbo the klze . Geez your picky . Hehe . I will sell you the turbo stuff as well . Come on !!!!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

boo I don't want a v6!

And reinstalled the alternator and drove my car home, got hassled by a cop for driving with no lights on but he was very understanding about my situation when I explained it.

Now that my car isn't in a sketchy culdesac I can take a look at the problem, I;m gonna do voltage drops on both sides of the alternator, my guess is that theres a poor ground or poor hot connection due to the advice I've gotten so I'll focus on those.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, I was going to suggest if you've been doing around with a multimeter, testing it from various points from the positive and ground directly on the alternator, than then moving way to farther and farther connections. Sometimes too a bad battery can cause problems. Once the car is started, try running with the (positive) battery disconnected, see if you get a different result in your voltage from your alternator
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Ya, I was going to suggest if you've been doing around with a multimeter, testing it from various points from the positive and ground directly on the alternator, than then moving way to farther and farther connections. Sometimes too a bad battery can cause problems. Once the car is started, try running with the (positive) battery disconnected, see if you get a different result in your voltage from your alternator
I've been working nonstop this weekend so I haven't had the chance to try anything but I've already tried removing the POS terminal and the car will die out right away

I talked to SuperK and he said his roommate had a similiar trouble that he solved by jumping from the alt positive straight to the battery and ignoring the part of the harness that is supposed to do that, after I do some work with the multimeter I think I'll give that a shot to see if my problem goes away or not.
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

You should have 2 harnesses one for the starter an alternator! Then one that goes into ECU on the inside. The one from the alternator goes to a ground then to the negative(it's still only one wire). So check your grounds there are only a couple major ones you need to clean up!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I got home from class today, tried to swing by picknpull but it was closed by the time I got home, and I come home to find that my 9 year old cousin put a wrench between my postive and negative terminals by "accident". Not sure what the hell he was doing with my car but that's what the story is I'm being told.

Car batt reals 12.5V, nothing happens when I turn the key, no dome light, no dash lights, no deck, no nothing.

Looks like my electrical is toast, I've no idea how to fix this beside replacing the entire harness so I'm at a loss at what to do.

Looks like the car is toast.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”