"Stuck" axle nut giving me trouble

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

"Stuck" axle nut giving me trouble

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've gotten most of the suspension yanked from my '92, but am stuck on the front passenger corner currently.
Nothing I have done will free the axle nut from the axle, and I am running out of time to get this done before I have to pull the engine.

So far I knocked the bent portion of the nut free from the slot in the axle, so it *should* spin freely with properly applied torque. No such luck :(

I used a 24" breaker bar with a 4 foot cheater pipe attached, and only managed to lift the car off of the jackstands.
My impact gun was of no use, and I am debating two options right now:
- Grind the nut on 2 opposing sides and torque it until it snaps and falls off(to spare the threads on the axle)
- Remove the balljoint and tie-rod end, and then pull the axle with the hub still attached

Am I missing another obvious method to remove this?

The car is not currently running, so using the engine to free it is a no-go.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: "Stuck" axle nut giving me trouble

Post by Daninski »

Use a dremel tool and cut the nut. I had trouble with that side as well. 3/4 drive bar with 5' pipe with 260lb+ fat bastard bouncing on the end and no luck. A torch may help cutting is sure fire. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Argh, I was hoping to avoid that. :(

That's a pretty graphic image you just put in my head Dan, thank you for that! :lol:
I don't have a torch at the house right now unfortunately, but I'll cut the damn thing off tomorrow.

How easy is it to damage the threads on the axle itself? I am thinking I should cut most of the way through the nut and then whack it with a hammer and chisel. The axle is less than a year old, and the boots are undamaged, so it should have some life left in it!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Heat and impact gun. Maybe rent a bigger impact gun. I have 230ft/lb one but recently bough 580 ft/lb Craftsman for future.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I had the same problem, pulled the spindle, axle and all and took it to a shop that had some good torches before I got my own. They put it in a vice, heated it up and off it came with one shot from the impact gun.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hmm, I keep forgetting I bought a new impact gun as well... I have been using one that I borrowed last year, and the guy who loaned it to me isn't returning my calls. :roll: Keep forgetting to break mine out and give it a shot.

I'll pick up a torch later this week too, I've been meaning to buy a few others tools and I may as well consolidate the shopping. :lol:

I'll give heat + impact a shot first you guys, then I'll do as Redline said if I am unsuccessful. Thank you for the tips!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

MrMazda92 wrote:Hmm, I keep forgetting I bought a new impact gun as well... I have been using one that I borrowed last year, and the guy who loaned it to me isn't returning my calls. :roll: Keep forgetting to break mine out and give it a shot.

I'll pick up a torch later this week too, I've been meaning to buy a few others tools and I may as well consolidate the shopping. :lol:

I'll give heat + impact a shot first you guys, then I'll do as Redline said if I am unsuccessful. Thank you for the tips!
What are you using for an impact? air or electric??
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Air, but my own gun is more powerful than my friend's, I just never thought to even check. :oops:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

MrMazda92 wrote:Air, but my own gun is more powerful than my friend's, I just never thought to even check. :oops:
What kind of tank set up are you using... I am asking because some air guns need a lot of air volume and psi to work at peek power... most home brew stuff isn't good enough... I have yet to meet an axle nut that I couldn't get loose with my 1/2" impact gun at work...
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

i had this problem with my 1991 mx3. I heated up the nut with a joe shmoe torch, then, i lit a camdle and melted candle wax all over it close up ti the nut. Then i put on an 8 foot pipe onto my best breaker bar and it moved like butter.

before that.........

used a half a can of move it for a day, had my 260lb fat a-- jump on the bar and raised the car off the rear jackstands almost hahahaha.

try it :twisted:
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

crazycanadian,

I'm using an embarrassingly small pancake compressor, as my "real" compressor caught on fire last year. :lol: I usually get 2-3 "shots" of 2 seconds with the impact gun before I need to let it refill already. I'm reppin' the super ghetto airtool setup here :lol: :wink:

mikeetown,
What did the candle wax add to the equation?? :o I haven't seen that as a recommendation before, but it's always interesting to learn something new!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I think the theory is the melted wax enters the threads via capillary action, which sets itself up as a lubricant. It seemed to help me too.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I just used a big iron square bar, drilled some holes in it.
Attached to holes to my lugs, and got the nut off.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thank you marcdh, makes enough sense to me... :P

WhiteFinish,
Nice! I jammed a prybar against the ground, your method is way more refined, and I'd say safer haha. Prybar slipped and caught my left knee. ;(
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”