Carbon Fiber products part 2

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Carbon Fiber products part 2

Post by kulluminati777 »

no.......

the rear seat bottom weighs in at a whooping 5 lbs and the top maybe 7.....

A panel that big would be 10lbs no?

Just take the rear bottom out and fold the top down and tadah you just saved 500ish dollars and 5lbs
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
easts1d3
antispam: No

Post by easts1d3 »

you may be right but you have to admit they look good
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

easts1d3 wrote:you may be right but you have to admit they look good
that it does :love:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

jaydog, what is actually being made so far? Looked like you were working on door panels and radiator covers. Anything else actually on the list that you are going to try? This thread is great for ideas but will anything actually happen because of it? Sorry just slightly skeptical :( :shrug:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

kulluminati777 wrote:Plastic and CF are pretty much the same in weight. Your wanting an entire interior in CF because race car.

stuff like hatches, hoods, doors, fenders are pretty much the only things saving weight any thing else is only for looks.
Meh... You think I b---- about someone having a stock paintjob and a CF hood? Wait until they have everything in CF, with stock painted bumpers and mirrors. :lol:

I liked the idea of a CF headliner, but now that I have a MINT stock one, I'm perfectly happy with it. :wink: As for interior stuff, I'd like the dash because it'd be functional. Looking cool would be a plus, but it wouldn't match the rest of the interior... :shrug:

The only real aesthetic only piece I would like would be the rear seat panel, because I like the thought of a true 2 seater MX-3, and in my head it looked pretty damn sexy. :love: The headliner would be aesthetic, with an added benefit of increased durability. I could probably make one out of aluminum and either carpet it or paint it matte black, either way. :shrug:

I genuinely would pay that much for doors, fenders, front bumper, rockers, hatch, rear bumper, roof, sunroof, and mirrors if the weight savings were over 300 pounds. However, I wouldn't dare shell out for that until I have a few more crucial things finished first.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Even though I feel like the CF hood I have is enough CF for my car I'd be interested in some kind of rear seat delete. I already have the rear seatbelts pulled and the seats are only in there 'cause they look nicer then having nothing there at all. If I were talented enough I'd look into doing some kind of custom job myself but I wouldn't really know where to begin, our backseats are pretty much a joke for seating for anyone over four and a half feet.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

You want extra leg room for the back? Make an aluminum or CF low profile dash assembly... Move the front seat brackets forward 4", and BOOM, you've got a real back seat. :welder:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
jaydog is back

Post by jaydog is back »

Mooneggs wrote:jaydog, what is actually being made so far? Looked like you were working on door panels and radiator covers. Anything else actually on the list that you are going to try? This thread is great for ideas but will anything actually happen because of it? Sorry just slightly skeptical :( :shrug:
Sorry for any recent updates, but work and family is keeping me pretty busy these days. I'm still working with the radiator supports and the door panels are going to take more time to get them to my likeing (thinking long term until next yr). I am making parts but I do this with what spare time I have at work and home so bare with me.

I will make parts only if the demand is there. It would be pointless for to make a mold of something and no one will want it because it is out of their price range. For now radiator supports and then if enough are sold, I will take the money and use it to get more mold making material for other projects. I may start looking into exterior panels but the cost will be high for most people. The most expensive would be full replacement doors.. Then bumpers, hood, fenders.

Some interior panels and trim may be tricky to recreate. I've allready started on door panels..
I'm looking at doing a dash swap with one made from carbon and I could do it in 3 different type of finishes. One thing I need to consider is any glare from sunlight. I know that can be a problem with a high gloss finish in black.
The first finish could have a smooth, gloss look to it that may produce some glare in daytime driving. The second could have a grainy feel to it and the fibers would not show like they would normally by using a peel ply finish (you can still see the weave pattern though). The 3rd would be a vacuum bagged dash but with no smoothnes or high gloss gel/surface coat added to the surface. This is usually the look in race car parts.
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

I like where your going with these components your making!

Are door panels going to be a carbon fiber cover or completely made from carbon fiber?

Also, I think for engine compartment, a fuse box cover and a timing belt cover would look amazing

As for the interior, door sill covers, a gauge pod to replace the center vent in the 92 dash style, the trim around the gagues, and center console would look nice and not overly expensive for those who want a nice carbon fiber look without breaking the bank

Let me know what you think
jaydog is back

Post by jaydog is back »

I like all those ideas. I just have to finish one thing at a time. I do wish I had clones to make them for me. :mrgreen:
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

If you lived in windsor i would help! lol
wertys

Post by wertys »

I want carbon moonroof! I just cant get rid of it, I love it! :P
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

Do you have any picture updates on your rad support mold?
i will be your first customer :D
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

CF Hatch garnish?

I've seen spoilers, but I don't recall ever seeing the garnish...

I always liked the clean look of a garnish, but they're so damn fragile it's silly. :(
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

for me a CF hatch garnish would have been only for looks cause i have the mazdaspeed wing. No weight reduction at all. I would be the only one who would want this anyway lol. Since i have decided to paint my CF hood. I dont think I would want the garnish CF anymore anyway....

Return to “Appearance”