Carbon Fiber products part 2

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Carbon Fiber products part 2

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'd rather gut the dash, remove it entirely and remake a lower profile dash in CF, than buy a CF hatch...

Taking that much weight off of the rear alone has proven to be detrimental for many members, and MX-3s aren't the only cars with issues in that area.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

i could, but i have to have a stock dash in the class im going to race in...
jaydog is back

Post by jaydog is back »

I would rather make a dash than a hatch IMO. I think I would have to sacrifice one to make one and The vinyl would need to come off so that I could make a mold of it. I have a 92-93 dash I can rip apart but I'm still slowly working with the radiator supports....so busy with work right now.

E-brake handles...?? Not sure about that one.
Shift knobs... I know the correct technique to make them but would cost quite a bit to do.
Battery tie downs are doable, just not sure how spilling battery acid will react with the resin if the battery leaks. Hope you guys have Li or spiral cell, sealed batteries.
It would be easier to wrap a rearview mirror than make one from scratch, but can be done, hell anything can be done with
$$ and time. :P
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

i do agree, a carbon fiber dash would look amazing and cut down on alot of weight!

how do you guys feel about a rear seat delete carbon fiber panel?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Idk how much a carbon dash would cost, but I imagine that it'd require some creative mounting. What about those of us who want to keep heater functionality as well as our stereos? :freak:
If the dash has usable access ports(large enough for an a grown man to reach vital areas) for servicing and repairs, then I'd be down to fork over my hard earned money for one. It wouldn't be cheap, but I'd put $500 towards that before I'd put it towards a CF hood or hatch.
easts1d3 wrote:i do agree, a carbon fiber dash would look amazing and cut down on alot of weight!

If that can look clean and not be "permanent", I may be interested as well.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
jaydog is back

Post by jaydog is back »

MrMazda92 wrote:Idk how much a carbon dash would cost, but I imagine that it'd require some creative mounting. What about those of us who want to keep heater functionality as well as our stereos? :freak:
If the dash has usable access ports(large enough for an a grown man to reach vital areas) for servicing and repairs, then I'd be down to fork over my hard earned money for one. It wouldn't be cheap, but I'd put $500 towards that before I'd put it towards a CF hood or hatch.
easts1d3 wrote:i do agree, a carbon fiber dash would look amazing and cut down on alot of weight!

If that can look clean and not be "permanent", I may be interested as well.
A dash would cost alot, period. It would have to have the same mounting points and constructed much the same as an oe dash. The part of the dash or trim that surrounds the radio and heater controls would still be there. It's mounting is a metal frame which I wouldn't change..
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well, how about the trim that members occasionally paint? Make that in CF, and I doubt you'd have much trouble selling it. That wouldn't save any weight though, it'd be aesthetic only, I still think you'd sell a fair number of them.

I'm trying to think of something heavy that would be relatively easy to make out of CF, and the big items already seem to be covered so far. :/ How about sun-visors? They tend to warp and conform to the shape of the headliner overtime, and I know all 4 sets that I currently possess suffer from the same issue.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

carbon fiber mazdaspeed front bumper???!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mmmm :D With a towhook slot! :freak:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

yes! that would awesome since the fiberglass mazdaspeed gb is going nowhere... lol

i would be so down with that though!
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think this thread has gotten so crazy people have pretty much suggested the entire car rebuilt in carbon fiber.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'd put $2,500 down for a full CF exterior, if I never had to paint the SOB again, and it cut down a ton of weight. :lol:
Last edited by MrMazda92 on November 27th, 2012, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

not the whole car.... just most of it! :D
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

MrMazda92 wrote:I'd put $2,500 down for a full CF exterior, if I never had to paint the SOB again, and it cut down a ton of weight. :lol:
Plastic and CF are pretty much the same in weight. Your wanting an entire interior in CF because race car.

stuff like hatches, hoods, doors, fenders are pretty much the only things saving weight any thing else is only for looks.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

kulluminati777 wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:I'd put $2,500 down for a full CF exterior, if I never had to paint the SOB again, and it cut down a ton of weight. :lol:
Plastic and CF are pretty much the same in weight. Your wanting an entire interior in CF because race car.

stuff like hatches, hoods, doors, fenders are pretty much the only things saving weight any thing else is only for looks.
removing the rear seat and adding a carbon fiber panel wont save weight? all though gutting the interior would be the ideal thing to reduce weight but cosmetics is also important

Return to “Appearance”