How To Remove a Mazda Mx-3 Transmission

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
BrokenCoilz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How To Remove a Mazda Mx-3 Transmission

Post by BrokenCoilz »

hey ladies and gentlemen i have a 1993 mx3 1.8l v6 and my through out bearing is going so im buying a clutch kit but need to know how hard it would be to take out the tranny and how much stuff has to be removed from it in order to drop it out and take it indoors to fix it it would be greatly appreciated to know thanks soo much
ɃƦǑƙƎǸƆȌǏȽᴢ
'93 ɱ×Ȝ PŕēĊĺďĩĀ(blaze red )
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: How To Remove a Mazda Mx-3 Transmission

Post by Daninski »

10 seconds using the Search feature. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ansmission

We like to help but for Christ's sake do a little work yourself please.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

BrokenCoilz wrote:hey ladies and gentlemen i have a 1993 mx3 1.8l v6 and my through out bearing is going so im buying a clutch kit but need to know how hard it would be to take out the tranny and how much stuff has to be removed from it in order to drop it out and take it indoors to fix it it would be greatly appreciated to know thanks soo much
Drive it down to my place.. drop it off in the morning, pay me money come pick it up at the end of the day... :mrgreen:

I have written a how to on doing a phantom grip install on a B6T car... I out lined how to pull the transmission out on it... The process is pretty much the same on an mx3... There are a couple things in some different spots but nothing major...
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

To be honest you are better off taking the engine out and separating the motor from transmission it is a little bigger of a job but makes life easier. Need help on how to pm me.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

bbunkerc397 wrote:To be honest you are better off taking the engine out and separating the motor from transmission it is a little bigger of a job but makes life easier. Need help on how to pm me.
how many transmissions have you pulled?

the mx3 is really easy to pull the transmission out the bottom. its also much faster.
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Without a hoist it is a lot harder to pull the transmission from the bottom especially without a transmission jack. In his case on your back isn't that easy and I've pulled about 20 engines in my life.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I can pull the tranny out the bottom in 90 minutes. It's so soo much easier than pulling the engine.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

I second wyts post, way easier pulling the mtx from the bottom, TBH when I do my next motor swap im dropping my mtx out the bottom first just bc of how easy it is, simply remove the balljoints at the control arms, pop off the rh stub axle and you can leave the axles bolted to the spindles and drop it right out the bottom, you dont even need to disconnect the clutch lines just unclip and set them to the side.
That way no impacts are needed for the axles sockets and you can do it on your back in the driveway, same way i did my clutch, 2 jackstands and a floorjack.

Or if your in a real hurry just find a backroad, hit about 70 and dump it into reverse :lol:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Elli

Post by Elli »

Word, if you don't have the car on a lift (just a jack) you can just have someone undo the mating bolts from above and catch the tranny on your chest. Not a big deal.
92 MX-3 ZE "The draggin' wagon"
Colt cams and bolt-ons

Return to “Transmissions”