alternate window switch option

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
stepchyld

alternate window switch option

Post by stepchyld »

I know this has been discussed before, and there's a great write-up on making other Mazda switches work in our MX3's, but I found something I have to share.
At the local (recently found by me) pick-n-pull, there set a 90 or 91 Probe with power windows. I pulled the master switch and instantly recognized the connector as identical to ours.
I quelled the excitement and sauntered over to my car to test it. I remove the jumpers on my harness (which I've used for quite a while, reluctant to swap to manual windows). I plug in the switch, and it works great!
Drivers side works, passenger side works, auto function works, but the 'lock' button does nothing. Not a big deal. Major part is, like all other switches out there, they won't fit directly in our housing, so that will be modified.
Just thought I'd let everyone know, functionally, these are plug-n-play!
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: alternate window switch option

Post by kulluminati777 »

yessssssss I didnt know any other mazda switches worked. I know the MX6 ones dont. but this is cool about the classic probe ones fitting great job. I will hunt one down and do this pronto :welder:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

But can this switch fit in the door panel position?I don't want to have a hole on it..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

no it wont. he said in the post you have to mod it to fit... :freak:
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Not a direct fit. But there are no others that would be, from what I've heard.
(my first pic posted, yea!)
Haven't decided how I want to mount it. It rides fine where it is, but that just can't last long...
Considering getting the rest of the trim from that Probe and seeing how that would look. If it won't look right, I'll remove the switch assembly and modify my panel for the switches to fit.
The switches aren't directly side-by-side like ours, as you can see, they're offset, which would make adapting our panels a little extra tricky, but quite possible.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

kulluminati777 wrote:no it wont. he said in the post you have to mod it to fit... :freak:
Alzheimer disease.:lol:
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

DeadMaker wrote:
kulluminati777 wrote:no it wont. he said in the post you have to mod it to fit... :freak:
Alzheimer disease.:lol:
Haha! I'll try to get comparison pics of the switch housings up soon.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Here are a few side-by-side pics:

Yep, it'll require some modifications...
Due to work schedule changing drastically this week, I probably won't be able to get the rest of the Probe's trim for a while, but I'll post pics whenever I can either get it, or decide to do something different. For now, I'm busy, but enjoying windows that work right.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

HHMMMM.......

A little modification to the existing MX3 window housing and i think you have saved me millions in window switch wages I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I used the switches out of a 96ish 626.
Desoldered them from the board, rewired, mounted into the MX3 housing and I was done.
While I'm sure that having the same wiring connector is nice, I don't think the modifying the switches to fit is going to be as easy.
Maybe it's time I dust off the old pictures and see if I can do a write up.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

you should, i been trying to find a alternative to these HORRIBLE switches for awhile
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The switches haven't ever been an issue for me... Now, the driver's side window regulator is a joke and a half. :x
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

the only reason mine have crapped out is because I had to open and close the window every time i would go on or off a military post. Which is at a minimum of 10 times a day maybe more. so thats 10 flicks of the switch up and 10 down so i can show my ID to the gate guards. So i need a durable switch. The MX6 switch is pretty good and this old probe on looks JUST like it so im sure it will hold up over time
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

kulluminati777 wrote:i think you have saved me millions in window switch wages I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!
That was the idea! lol

The problem I've had has been the switch's 'shell'. They just seem to get brittle and break over time: the tabs on the side or the underneath part that makes the physical contacts.
Haven't had problems with regulators, yet, but I have the solution to that: manual window conversion! or the regulator from a parts car...
I roll my windows up and down fairly frequently too, since I smoke. Probably will even after I finally kick the habit because I like the fresh air.

I looked at some switches from a 626, didn't check the year, but skipped it due to it being a four-door. Didn't think of doing the soldering mods to the switches for the front doors. d'oh! Hope they still have the 626 when these 12-hour days are over, I'll nab 'em!
Demonic1 wrote: Maybe it's time I dust off the old pictures and see if I can do a write up.
Yes, it's time. I'd like to see it.
It's time for me to hunt my files and post my gs atx-mtx write up as well. Sadly, I have no pictures.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I drive with the windows down every single trip around town, until temps drop below 60 degrees... That's over 1/2 the year, every single ride being 3-4 times rolling both up and down. Only the driver's side ever has an issue, and my main issue is that the window rocks back and forwards, or "left to right" if you've got the door open.

The plastic bracket that holds the window to the metal track is a POS. I've replaced the entire unit 3 times, and it always breaks down, even when I lubricate it regularly with white lithium grease. We should have one made out of stiff nylon, to replace the aging plastic piece that has so much give to it.

I wouldn't know where to even ask about having that made, but I'd be down to buy one if somebody can find a producer.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”