KLZE LOSS OF POWER

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

KLZE LOSS OF POWER

Post by mx3_ryder »

New here!! Just wanted to let you guys know what i found. Driving along downshifting and when getting back into throttle the car lost power about 50% loss, and exhaust sounded much different almost like my dist. went out or a misfire. No check engine light, no codes, I could smell unburnt fuel and was coming out the exhaust so seemed like a rich mixture.
Check list of what i went through:
1. I have had problems with moisture in my old distributor and spark was a little weak so i swapped it out and no change.
2. Unbolted exhaust before the converter to make sure it wasn't plugged -good.
3. Checked tps specs etc. and -good
4. Checked fuel pressure -good
5. Checked all vacuum hoses and -good.
6. Checked all wiring and grounds-good
7. VAF working properly and in spec- good
8. Checked all sensors including temp sensors and crank sensor-good
9. Checked compression and was 205 psi on front 3 cylinders and 190-195 on rear cylinders and took a little more turning over to achieve these numbers
10. All spark plugs and wires are good.
11. Probably some things I checked that i forgot to mention but in a nut shell i checked everything and here’s what i found. obviously the last thing i checked and found the problem was timing belt on rear cam sprocket had jumped one tooth, this is why i wasn't getting full compression on rear cylinders and explains unburnt gas and all my symptoms. Not much tension on belt so guessing the tensioner is shot. So the mx3 is in storage for the winter and will be getting new timing belt kit so i can work on it over the winter.
I wanted to post this in case someone else is experiencing these symptoms because it took me awhile to figure it out.
Last edited by mx3_ryder on November 4th, 2012, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: KLZE LOSS OF POWER

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Your keyboard is broken.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Sorry, caps lock was on.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Did you type without looking? Took 3 whole posts before you noticed? C'mon man, little more courtesey, please
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Getting flamed after just 4 posts, indoctrination by fire. :P Anyway welcome to the forum. Nice to see you went out of your way to check things on your own without coming on here expecting to be spoon feed. Even with your car in storage hope to see you on here a little more in the future. On the weekend Nd4SpdSe (Mike) wears women's clothes and some times experiences PMS so don't feel too hurt by his comments. :wink: Cheers.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've been in the field for a month and a half, my tolerence for stupidity is down, I appologize...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I've been in the field for a month and a half, my tolerence for stupidity is down, I appologize...
Mike your outstanding in your field. :mrgreen:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Clogged cat + exhaust leak by the manifold?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Don't know what you are talking about but no cat wasn't clogged and no there wasn't any leaks by manifold
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ahh, I missed your mention of the cat before, my mistake!

As for the exhaust leak, it's a likely explanation of the fuel smell in the cabin.
Edit:

I completely misunderstood the intent of this post... You were describing your issue, AND the solution you found to it.

Not half bad! Please do edit the caps lock out though! :P

I'm OCD, and I had an extra moment... so I spellchecked and slightly revised your post. Try editing the original post, and copy/pasting this into the page:

New here!! Just wanted to let you guys know what i found. Driving along downshifting and when getting back into throttle the car lost power about 50% loss, and exhaust sounded much different almost like my dist. went out or a misfire. No check engine light, no codes, I could smell unburnt fuel and was coming out the exhaust so seemed like a rich mixture.
Check list of what i went through:
1. I have had problems with moisture in my old distributor and spark was a little weak so i swapped it out and no change.
2. Unbolted exhaust before the converter to make sure it wasn't plugged -good.
3. Checked tps specs etc. and -good
4. Checked fuel pressure -good
5. Checked all vacuum hoses and -good.
6. Checked all wiring and grounds-good
7. VAF working properly and in spec- good
8. Checked all sensors including temp sensors and crank sensor-good
9. Checked compression and was 205 psi on front 3 cylinders and 190-195 on rear cylinders and took a little more turning over to achieve these numbers
10. All spark plugs and wires are good.
11. Probably some things I checked that i forgot to mention but in a nut shell i checked everything and here’s what i found. obviously the last thing i checked and found the problem was timing belt on rear cam sprocket had jumped one tooth, this is why i wasn't getting full compression on rear cylinders and explains unburnt gas and all my symptoms. Not much tension on belt so guessing the tensioner is shot. So the mx3 is in storage for the winter and will be getting new timing belt kit so i can work on it over the winter.
I wanted to post this in case someone else is experiencing these symptoms because it took me awhile to figure it out.

I'll edit it out of my own post afterwards. :freak:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Have you checked your O2 sensors ?

Misfires are usually related to your distributor, but you said it's fine...
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”