Poor idle stalls out

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Terry B
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Poor idle stalls out

Post by Terry B »

Hello All

I have a 96 MX-3 Canadian 5 speed Model that has 104 000 kms on it. The problem I am having is when the car gets up to operating temperature the car the car idles poorly and after awhile it will stall out. I have had the car to the dealership and according to the code it was the egr valve solinod and they checked the egr valve it seemed ok. I changed that and it seemed to help for about a month but now again it is stalling out.

The car runs well and drives well, it just the problem with the idle. When I put my foot on the clutch to start to slow down for a light or a corner the idle drops to about 300 and will jump around between 300 to 700 then it will settle out at about 400 or stall out. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Thanks
Terry
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Poor idle stalls out

Post by Ryan »

This is almost guaranteed to be an intake leak problem.

Check the accordion tube between the airflow meter and throttle body. It often cracks between the ribs. Air leaking in here bypasses the airflow meter, which causes a bunch of running issues. All of these cars are sensitive to this problem.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daveb

Re: Poor idle stalls out

Post by Daveb »

I had the same problem with My 94 GS, same code & changed the EGR valve twice, a real
pain.

Look at the intake where the throttle cable is bolted down, just below it is a doo-dad
(very technical) it has a bunch of hoses & wires plugged into it, its a double unit on a little
bracket.

I picked up the whole thing at the scrap yard for $35.00 and since changing it, the car has run
perfectly.

My buddy the Mazda mechanic fooled around & suggested I try that, the bloody EGR code
throws you right off.

Good Luck

PS my problem was with my V-6 but I assume thier is a similar controller on the 4 cyl model, not
sure what its called, Im sure someone will know what I mean.
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”