EGR Valve & O2 Sensor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
LivinDeadGurl

EGR Valve & O2 Sensor

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Good Morning All!

My car was giving me error code 16, which is the EGR Valve. I replaced the EGR Valve, and I still get the same code. Is it possible that I have a vacuum leak, which could be why I still have the engine code for the EGR?

Also, O2 sensor wont come out. Ive tried PB Buster, Used the proper O2 sensor tool, still wont budge. Anyone have this issue? Any ideas of how to get it out? Its not the front O2 sensor, its the back.

davmac

Re: EGR Valve & O2 Sensor

Post by davmac »

Try running the car up to operating temp just before removing the O2 sensor. I'll sometimes put on an old winter coat and gloves to protect my arms and hands. Sounds silly and a little dangerous, but a hot manifold will make the sensor easier to remove. Just protect your arms and hands. Also since you're replacing the sensor anyway you might use vise grips or cut wires so you can use an open end wrench or deep six sided socket. The O2 socket is nice for installing, but a little weaker when removing a stuck sensor due to the relief cut out for wiring.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
LivinDeadGurl

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Thanks. I was using the O2 socket to remove it and it was not budging. As for my EGR Valve, the pin the valve goes up and down so I am led to believe it is a vacuum leak. Is there any way to check for vacuum leaks without a tester? I dont have one :(
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

LivinDeadGurl wrote:Thanks. I was using the O2 socket to remove it and it was not budging. As for my EGR Valve, the pin the valve goes up and down so I am led to believe it is a vacuum leak. Is there any way to check for vacuum leaks without a tester? I dont have one :(
Davmac has a good tip for getting the O2 out when you don't have access to a torch to heat it...

As for the EGR valve, you could have a bad vacuum line from the egr control solenoid to the valve its self... You could also have a bad Egr control solenoid... Vacuum lines could be hooked up incorrectly... Bad vacuum line to the EGR control solenoid as well... You should have a vacuum diagram on your hood... It'll be part of the emissions sticker... That should help find where the vacuum lines should go and you can find the solenoids that way...

Buy your self a cheep vacuum pump if you get stuck.. that way you can do some better testing..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”