Axle removal

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
WhiteFinish

Axle removal

Post by WhiteFinish »

He Guys,

I'm removing my engine because it doesn't have compression anymore.
A temp DE will take its place.

Everything is loose except the axles.

I some something about a circlip ?? Where is this, anybody as a picture ?
Also saw some people posting about disconnecting the dust boot (this is the one closest to the wheel correct ?
Is this a good option when removing the engine ?

Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Evo_Spec

Re: Axle removal

Post by Evo_Spec »

I should really make a video on how to do this cause it's super easy assuming the axle doesn't rust into place in the hub (that was a b---- to get out)

Anyways what i do is find a screw driver or a better yet a wrench that'll fit in the slot of the rotor and spin it to wedge the wrench against the caliper and then use a 32mm socket perferbly with a 3/4 drive breaker bar and it should just pop loose, you might have to jump on it.
After you hammer the axle out of the hub then you should grab a pry bar and pry on the axle against the tranny and it should pop right out.
WhiteFinish wrote: Everything is loose except the axles.

I some something about a circlip ?? Where is this, anybody as a picture ?
Also saw some people posting about disconnecting the dust boot (this is the one closest to the wheel correct ?
Is this a good option when removing the engine?
*edit* now that i read this i think you got the axle nut loose and stuff so yeah, all you need to do is pry on the axle against the tranny to pop it out.
I've recently bought this indexable pry bar and i absolutely love it, it has been much more useful than i thought, i thought i was gonna just use it for axle's
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

when you have the axle removed from the hub/spindle, and you are ready to remove it from the transmission casing... an old fasioned hammer will work. you have to hit it straight as possible (which is a LOT harder than it seems) with steady hits.

You can also just cut off the dust boots at the transmission end, and leave the axle ends in the transmission as you pull it out I guess. *shrug*
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I did what SuperK is suggesting. I pulled the boot loose (closest to the engine) I wrap the 2 ends in plastic bags, pull the tranny, get the CV out and put it all together with a new CV boot clip like this...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0362
Lot easier to pull the CV once it's out from under the car...
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

The circlip is only on the driver's side axle. The passenger side just slides out after you unbolt the midshaft. The only b*tch is the driver's side axle because of the circlip, use a long prybar and hit it with a hammer.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I took giant pry bar and pried it between transmission and axle and it popped off.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I did that for a few hours... 2 pry bars at once even... One with a 6'4 250 pound friend bouncing up and down on it.

Then I pulled the dust boot, ground notches into the cup, and used a claw style puller with a slide hammer. That took a while, but it worked. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Transmissions”