MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS "Tracy" - Protege Wheel and MegaSquir

Post by kulluminati777 »

that ECU is too cool if i was really into racing i would for sure pick one of these up. Also the wheel looks really cool. It really updates the interior. If you think about it with little modification ANY seats will fit in the MX3. Well if it isnt mazdaspeed type F seats or 92 MX3 seats, 09 MX5 seats would look pretty good i guess :shrug: I think the look is irrelevant with looking for a nice pair, i think its all about comfort and durability and i think the 92 seats do just that unless you want track comfort then the MS seats will do the job. Just the fabric of the 92's could use updating. i would save the couple hundred and reupholster the front and back seats in black.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm definitely thrilled about the ECU, I can't wait to get it up and running. If I ever find the time, I DO know somebody with a Dyno, who will work with me to tune the car for free. The issue is getting the car there, since it'll be after basic. :(

I love the wheel, the feel of it is phenomenal; I played with it a little in the Protege before pulling it(why not?), and I honestly prefer it now that I'm used to it. The wider angle at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions is the only thing I'm not loving, but it's not enough to make me regret the swap at all.

You're right about fitting the seats, my main concerns are being able to slide them fully forward/back, and being able to lay it flat(I sleep in the car, more often than you might think :lol: )

Now that my shoulders are filling out more, the '92 seats aren't as comfortable on long drives. For me to sit fully back in the seat, I need to slouch and hunch my shoulders. Other than that, they're exactly what I want. I almost want to modify the stock seats, but I doubt I could flatten out the shoulder area without making it look terrible.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 10th, 2012, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'll be borrowing a laptop over the next week or so, to try and get a solid tune going. I wish I still had mine -.-
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

I would considering using rx-8 seats..There is a member here with white klze boosted mx3(which now has a subaru) which used these seats and it looks great.Search in worklogs for pics..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Fold flat seats would mean you'll sacrifice bolstering and confort for function, typically because of the cars that those types of seats are in that I could find:
- Ford Edge
- Toyota Prius
- Honda Fit
- Volve XC70
- Toyota Matrix
- Honda Element
- Saturn Vue

A standard "fold flat seat" might not work out well in a 2+2 configuration. Typically they work by lining up with the rear seats folding down. Although you could do it in an Mx-3, the issue is that you lose height, it's not a tall car like the Fit. That would probably work better is a seat that folds flat by moving the seat forward and laying it back. Could get a wide shoulder seat, you just need to find one with a headrest and that you can remove it to fold the seat flat when needed. I've done that as best at my 92 seats could, and even the RX8 they fold back well enough to do what I need them to do.

Wondering if your over-engineering the Mx-3, trying to get a function out of the car that will net little to no benefit, and maybe be less confortable. Trying to turn something into something it's not. I've fit many things into my Mx-3 by either moving the seat all the way forward, and tilting it forward, or moving it all the way forward and tilting it all the way back. May or may not of included dropping the back seat. Not sure what you will gain in space and function by a true fold flat seat. Could always look at modifying the stock hindges, it can't be rocket science.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

What's shiny, black, and new(for me)?

That would be Mx-3 number 3... The addiction grows. I'll be leaving for basic in December(got my date!), and the cars are ready to receive some love. Now that I have time, and a little money... They will see that love.

I'd like to thank FowlJesse for the car, I'll be sure to take care of her!
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 6th, 2012, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe,

I'm not sure why, but several people are misinterpreting my posts lately... I've been posting at night when I'm pretty tired, that may be part of the issue. I'll try to clear it up a bit though, since I have a moment to spare.

I'm not looking to add any feature or function to my seats, I simply want to find a seat that folds down as far as the stock '92-'93 seats, while being wider in the shoulder area. This pretty much means a separate head-rest, which I am okay with, so long as I don't sacrifice the folding capability of the stock seats.

I CURRENTLY sleep in the car, maybe 15-20 times a year, and would like to keep that as an option for the future.
Honestly, it never had anything to do with cargo, or transporting anything other than my own(and possibly a passenger's) body. I found the '94+ seats lacking enough support for my lower back, and the '92-'93 are uncomfortable higher up.

Ideally(If only it were this easy), they would look good, while still maintaining two key properties: 1) "Flat-Folding" - Only so far as the stock seats go, as I can sleep in them just fine. 2) Supportive, but not cramped in the shoulder region.

I'll probably be forced to do something one-off, it wouldn't surprise me a bit... I like to try and keep a factory look to my cars, so aftermarket seats are most likely out of the question. I may have to reupholster a '94 seat, including new padding in the lower back region. That would be the closest option available from what I've seen this far.

Thank you for the list of cars, I'll take a peak when I have a moment! I'm not against modifying the rails/brackets to make the right seat fit, so that honestly does help a lot.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Today I finally got around to that terribly overdue alignment I've been postponing...

The results are in:
Left Front
-2.4 Camber
3.0 Caster
1.29 Toe

Right Front
-2.5 Camber
2.8 Caster
1.17 Toe

"Total Toe" 2.46
Steer Ahead .06

Left Rear
-2.1 Camber
.36 Toe

Right Rear
-1.9 Camber
.07 Toe

"Total Toe" .43
Thrust Angle .14

Well, my vibration problem is solved... :freak: Lesson learned, I won't postpone an alignment for so long ever again. It's a good thing I only put around 500 gentle miles on it after replacing the struts and installing the Ground Controls.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Those numbers are almost as bad as mine were!
I totally understand where your coming from, i'm never postponing an alignment again as well lol.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It was terrible man... She pulled left hard, if I let go of the wheel for 3-4 seconds I'd drive off the road. My tires chirped every time I turned hard right, and the vibration I described in the suspension section were other nasty effects.

I'm glad to have it resolved, and I'll be getting a lifetime alignment after I move, so I can save a little in the long run.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

So, the upcoming meet in Washington on the 16th... Has brought a SURGE of motivation out of me.

My sunroof is fixed, drain unclogged and remounted in the car. I'm currently working on modifying my '92 headliner to cover the holes left by the manual belt swap... This part probably won't be done before the meet.

Tomorrow, I'm going out to buy enough ChalkBoard paint and sandpaper to respray the entire car, with a can or two left for touchups. I was going to spray my '93, but I won't be driving that car up this month.

My mission for the rest of the week is to swap out my massively dented passenger door for my minty SE one, bolt on my MazdaSpeed bumper and POSSIBLY the sides as well, and then spray the entire car ChalkBoard black.

If I manage to complete all of that in time, I'll juggle the stereo equipment between my '92 and '93(blue one, not black), and get the best combination possible for the trip.

Thanks for scheduling the meet so soon everybody, you've forced me to finish some long awaited projects! :lol:

Sadly, my MegaSquirt will have to wait until I return... It's still going in though!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Small update!

The headliner will NOT be done in time for the meet on the 16th. :(

I've finished sanding, priming, and painting my mini sides and MazdaSpeed bumper for install. I'll begin the painstaking process of sanding the rest of the body down tomorrow, and try to get a few coats of primer finished before daylight ends.

I'd forgotten entirely about the mesh for the MazdaSpeed bumper, and am trying to find a cheap solution to that issue before the weekend comes... I may end up leaving the stock bumper on for the trip, if I can't figure it out in time.

Either way, my '92 will no longer be red after this week. :D Took me long enough to actually pick a color for real, huh?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

My faded red paint is sanded down finally... Kind of breaks my heart to see it so decrepit looking. Tomorrow will be a final touch up sand, 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats of chalkboard black.

Still debating the MS bumper for the meet... I thinking of swapping it on later, with a true CAI and sealed box.

Thoughts?
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

...you already know what im gonna say :lol: :lol: put it on!!
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's not about preference man! I love it, and want to use it immediately!

The problem is more practicality... I don't have the mesh for it yet, and I still need to take a dremel to the front left corner and make an opening for cold air. I wish I had a little extra time, but I think I'll be using the stock bumper for the trip.

I will be getting my other Euro headlight installed, I've been running one American and one Euro for months :lol:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”