Some cool information about storing/re-using POR-15!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Some cool information about storing/re-using POR-15!

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've been wondering about this for a while, I didn't know people complained so much about the shelf life... It seems that there are some decent tips and tricks for stretching that life out.

For those of you who don't already know, POR-15 is a rust inhibitor, and has been very positively reviewed everywhere I've looked. Research proper application and storage techniques before using, as it's pretty hardy stuff. Don't inhale it, either. :lol:

Anyways, here's what you're really here for:
POR-15 , and how to make it last!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Some cool information about storing/re-using POR-15!

Post by mitmaks »

POR 15 is a great product, I've used it numerous times. I've actually converted a friend over to POR15 (Unfortunately they don't pay for advertising :( )
Only bad reviews are by people who misused it and it peeled off on them.
What I do is I put some saran wrap between lid and a can and then tap it with hammer so it seal very well. Also keep area between lid and a can clean.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

What is this "Rust" you speak of?

I do not know anything of this. :lol:
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Demonic, you'll find out someday! :lol:

I've found 2 spots of rust on my '92 to date, 1 in the door seal of my passenger door(I have a replacement door already, because of the other damage), and a spot in the hatch that I'll be cutting out and replacing.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I'm actually looking into some rust inhibitor spray for my inner panels.
This stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81849-Ru ... erosol+Can

I've got a lot of rattles in the rear end that make my ears bleed. (Or the high volume I play my stereo at)
I'm planning on putting a layer of the rust inhibitor spray down, then filling the less used pillars, panels and nooks with great stuff expanding foam.

/threadjack

This stuff might be used on my floorboards though. I am planning on ripping out the carpet and checking if the ninja leak in my roof has done any damage to the floorboards. Plus soundproofing.
What is the average time that POR-15 takes before it becomes useless?
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

POR-15 has isocyanates and these chemicals are considered carcinogenic (causes cancer) always wear a niosh approved mask and if spraying the product I recommend wearing some thing like tyvek coveralls as the product can be absorbed through the skin and the eyes. Never let this product come in contact with your skin. My 5 cents.

Check this out for more on this product. :D http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/por15sum.pdf

I like this page as well. http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/no%2 ... ctions.pdf
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”