4-cyl loses rpm on right turns

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
93DrunkMx3r
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

4-cyl loses rpm on right turns

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

ok, heres the deal....when im cruising.....she runs smooth, but as SOON as i try to step on it the car bogs down, or doesnt accelerate for a few seconds...kinda slowly creeps up the rpms and then BOOM it jerks and takes off. Im thinking this is a fuel injector problem? anyone had an issue with this and have a good place to check?
Last edited by 93DrunkMx3r on August 16th, 2012, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
93DrunkMx3r

Re: No response under heavy throttle?

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

So im thinkin its the disty....i feel like a NooB.....shoulda searched harder smh :oops:
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Have your plugs and/or wires been changed recently?
I'd check there before jumping the disty, that bugger is pricey.
My DOHC did something very similar, plugs were fouled out. Worth pulling them and checking them out...
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

yea man...i noticed that disty is pricey lol. ive got new plugs, wires, and a cap? coming to me soon so im going to knock that out first. Im noticing now tho that i also get a rough idle when i push the clutch in quickly shifting out of or into gear...which i think is a completely diffrent issue...still havent hit the $500 mark yet for the car and parts so i think im doing good so far.
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

welllllll...ive narrowed the issue down to when i come off the clutch AND im turning right any faster than a slow crawl...the car bogs down and sometimes stalls out, but if i go from a stop, its fine. Maaaan idk what the world that may be. Still waiting check to hit the bank so i can grab these plugs n wires tho. Anyone have any clues? still think its tplugs wires or disty?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The 4 cyls disty problems were faaaar less common than the v6.

I'd check engine codes, first of all. The issue you describe sounds like a bad air flow meter connection. The clip isn't normal, so a lot of people tend to break it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

If this was the v6 I would say that the problem is the TPS sensor on the throttle body.......
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

ok, thanks im going to look into both...so check the codes even if the light isnt on?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I went through two distributors on my 95 RS, and most that I know that had 94+ has gone through one or more. assuming you have a 93' by your screen name. Two things I would look at are, have you changed your fuel filter, and the cat could be clogging up. Injectors would be kind of rare, I would start with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to see if that cleans it up. Also might not be a bad idea to change your PCV valve if you have not done so already. How does your air filter look? could be a combination of things but first off I would look at the fuel filter. most forget about them and after 20 years and 100+K miles they get quite dirty.
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

thanks for the input Josh, i will definitely look into a bunch of the suggestions this weekend and probably replace the air and fuel filter for good measure. No clue when thats ever been done because she was neglected by her past owner, so it cant hurt to do it.
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

Alright team....i just checked replaced the plugs and wires...checked the disty...n it looked good, removed the cap n wiped it off. However, still having a bog down issue when i turn right. Ive got a fuel filter so i will be removing my seat and swapping that old thing out tomorrow. Im thinking maybe there is a short and when i turn right the wire is hitting something causing the issue....i mean idk. We will try the fuel filter and continue to scratch off things on the list yall provided for me.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

It sounds like a possible issue with the vaf or maybe the ignition timing is off a little at your disty. Check for any cracks in your intake and if that doesnt help loosen the disty bolts a bit and see if advancing it a bit helps with the bogging.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

I don't have anything to add at this time for troubleshooting, but have to note, fuel filter isn't under the seat. it's mounted to the firewall. Remove your battery and follow the line that goes to the fuel rail. It can be tricky to change, kinda tight spot. Well, maybe not as tight with your engine...
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

oh, i thought that in order to release the pressure you had to pull up the back seat n turn the valve, before you could replace the filter.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

To relieve the fuel pressure...

Pull the rear seat to get access to the wiring.
Start your car.
While it's running, disconnect the wiring harness going to your fuel pump.
The car should die like it ran out of fuel.

Learned that after getting a face full of gas.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”