Gas tank difficult to fill

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
FrankR

Gas tank difficult to fill

Post by FrankR »

Lately my gas gauge doesn't start moving off of full until I have a third to half the tank used up and when I fill the tank the gas pump nozzle clicks off way early and I have to dribble it in to get the last three or so gallons in.
Anyone heard of symptoms like that before?
Redline322

Re: Gas tank difficult to fill

Post by Redline322 »

It sounds like you might have a problem with your vent tube from the tank, so the air isnt escaping as fast as the gas is pumping in so it is causing an air void that can only escape through the filler neck. Its just like pouring out a bottle, if you turn it completely upside down, it'll chug to empty to allow air to fill the void, but if you angle it so that the air and liquid can flow, it'll flow freely. As far as the gauge not moving, it's possible the float on the sending unit could be damaged or sticking at the full position.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Word of warning, before you remove your fuel pump spray the screws a day of two before trying to remove them. I snapped off 4 and now I have to drill and tap out the screws with all that fuel waiting to blow me up. Kaboom. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Most valuable tool for removing stubborn screws: Impact driver - the kind you use with screwdriver bits and hit with a hammer. Check out a link here. It is a tool that I don't use too often, but when I do nothing else would work as well.

To the op: you have a bad fuel gauge sender which can be replaced separate from the fuel pump. Access is under the rear seat. Fuel senders tend to wear out after lots of years and miles like our cars have. I bought one from a member parting out a car and later from a salvage yard when the first replacement failed.

Needing to dribble the last 3 gallons just mean fuel is backing up in the fill pipe. Sometimes angle of the fuel nozzle is issue.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”