klde swap info

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

klde swap info

Post by Gods Father »

Ok, so I've been out of the mx3 game for almost 2 years. A bunch of financial and family problems have kept me from continuing. Anyways, I blew 2 klzes and am now putting a klde into the same car to try again. My question is what do I need to get it running? I have the whole probe gt ($400 with 90k miles! :)) so what can be swapped (transmission, clutch, flywheel, radiator, axles, suspension, brakes etc)? I have a jdm klze ecu, should I still use the klde ecu instead? Do I need the hei mod? Do I need the egr?

I'm sure its been all answered and laid out somewhere but I've been looking around for the last week and can only find klze walk throughs and parts lists etc. I know that getting the klze running at optimum performance took a lot, but seems like the klde is a bit easier from the things I have read. :) or so I'm hoping...

I obviously also have 2 blown klzes in case I could use anything from those for more power or better performance. :)
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
tbondo
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: klde swap info

Post by tbondo »

I recently swapped in a KL-DE from a 97 probe and used the motor and trans (with everything connected to the motor like sensors etc.) but used the suspension from the MX-3. The probe axels are too long and will cause problems with the wheel bearings. Trust me I found out the hard way. Since I had an OBD2 engine I used the engine harness from a 92 MX-3 and found an ECU from a 93 probe so everything would work together plug and play OBD1. The radiator will fit but not perfectly like a V6 MX-3 version if you have one. Basically bolt the engine and tranny onto the MX-3 subframe using MX-3 motor mounts and it should slide right in. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong this was just from my experiences.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

tbondo wrote: Since I had an OBD2 engine I used,,,,,,
Just to clarify there's no such thing as an OBD2 or OBD1 engine. The engine is whatever you configure it to be. Your choice is use the MX-3 harness and (I assume KL31-36) JDM ECU which is the easier way to go. Swapping out the harness and going Probe ECU and KL02 VAF is a lot more work with the possibility of wiring issues after if the harness wires get damaged in the process. IMO
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

MX-3 harness, transmission, flywheel, clutch, mounts, radiator, hosery.

Probe heads, block and crank, as well as air flow meter, ECU, and left transmission mount.

ZE pistons, cams, and manifold.

Later to be upgraded to MS, or a KL31/36 and mx-3 JE50 airflow meter

Check your bearing clearances PROPERLY before you just pop one engines rod/piston combo onto another crank, or the chances of zoom-zoom-boom go up.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Or just get a DE in good condition, change all the timing belts, idlers, tensioner, water pump and a few "difficult to replace when engine is in" gaskets (front mail seal etc). New clutch kit. Get some Ebay headers and go for it.

Get an MX6/Probe ECU from the same year as your car, and take the KL02 air flow sensor also.

Do the HEI mod after it's all running sweet.

Enjoy.

*Moral of the story, no matter WHAT you choose, do it properly and change all the hard sh*t that's going to piss you off later on when the engine is in!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses, although I'm happy I asked because there seems to be some speculation or at least different opinions on what I should use from either the mx3 or the probe. Here's what I have and if anyone could chime in and possibly give some pros/cons or advantages/disadvantages to any of the "either or" type options that would be helpful:

Suspension: mx3
Axels: mx3
Radiator: mx3, probe does fit but not perfect
Motor mounts: some say mx3, some say mx3 except transmission mount (not sure exactly which one works)
Ecu/vaf: either probe with kl02 vaf or jdm(kl31 or kl36a) with mx3 vaf
Clutch and flywheel: mx3
Transmission: mx3 or probe

RX8SE3P I'm definitely going to look into getting the water pump and timing belt done before I put the engine in, any suggestions on kits? Has anyone done the ebay kits or have any input? :)

Also Ryan I'm interested in putting the ze stuff in and trying to get some more power out of it but I think I'm just going to try and get it in and running first. Its been almost 2 years since this things moved :/ but awesome advice and will use it in the future for sure. :)

Thanks again guys!
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Motor mounts: some say mx3, some say mx3 except transmission mount
Stick with the MX-3 trans mount, the other guys want ours, not the other way around.
Transmission: mx3 or probe
These are identical, so do whichever is cheaper.
RX8SE3P I'm definitely going to look into getting the water pump and timing belt done before I put the engine in, any suggestions on kits? Has anyone done the ebay kits or have any input? :)
http://rpmmachine.com/engine-rebuild-kits-mazda.shtml
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Suspension - If it's good, leave it as I reckon, can always be done after

Axels - I got two whole new driveshafts off ebay for $200 and it included the CV joints also - up to you though, can always be done after

Mounts - I got solid ones, can't remember the place I got them from though, but many people here have used them. I got ones for a Probe/MX6. It required about 20 seconds of fabrication to fit, piss easy. The engine doesn't vibrate the car much either. You can always fill your engine mounts for potentially cheaper than buying after market mounts.

ECU/VAF - Obviously, if you get a ZE, JE50 + KL31/36 or a chipped ECU that takes either VAF. DE = KL02 and ECU from same year as your car

Transmission - I went the MX6 trans. I believe the Probe has shorter gears like the MX3. Keep your transmission if it shifts well, no real point in changing it. I would have saved myself the money if I knew. The gears are only slightly taller in the MX6 trans. A bit better for highway cruising.

I rebuild my engine off mostly Ebay parts. Has been running now for 15,000kms no problem. Eristic gaskets do a good kit for all the little gaskets and whatnot, you probably don't need the headgasket but it comes with one anyways. It's only like $60 and has almost every gasket you can imagine. I used Fel Pro headgaskets though (only $80 a pair anyways).

Timing belt kits are cheap off Ebay, try find a good deal with one that has the hydraulic tensioner and GMB water pump. You'll find it's the same if not better than the stuff you will get from most auto stores. Rockauto.com is also very good for parts!

Get some Ebay headers and find a cheap exhaust place to bolt up a 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch exhaust to complete the whole system. I'd say that's a fairly cheap upgrade for some noticeable power. DE + headers+upgraded exhaust system will be running close to a ZE.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The front trans mount (Closest to rad) is beefier on a probe. Thats why I suggested it. You have to drill out the crossmember about 1/16 though, that is all.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

ok so i just finished the swap and ended up getting everything to run and it seems to be doing pretty good which i think ill be doing a write up for in the future once i get everything organized and put together however ive run into a little snag...the axles...

i ended up using the probe transmission (with the klde engine) and im not really sure what axles to get? (mainly drivers side so far...pass is on order). i tried the mx3 axle and it seems like the splines on the end that go into the transmission are almost too big but the other end fits onto the wheel hub perfect, but the probe axle fits in the transmission but the other end is too big for the wheel hub...so idk how to get an axle that fits unless theres some discrepancy with year (93 probe and 94 gs?) or brands or something?

what axles has anyone else used with the probe tranny? my friend suggested customizing it and basically making a frakenstein axle out of both? is that crazy? it seems like there should be a better way...any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

There is absolutely no difference between an MX-3 and a Probe transmission. You're just not using a big enough hammer. Pay attention to the circlip too.

Use MX-3 axles, probe ones are not the correct length due to the different wheel base. The tripot (transmission side) should be the same between axles... you can frankenstein the axle if you want, it doesn't matter, its the same part (the tripot). You just need an MX-3 shaft to match the outer mx-3 cv. Probe axles are different diameter and outer cv won't fit on it.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Seriously getting those axles out of the trans is the most time consuming part of these motor swaps, one big flat head on each side of the ale cup & as Ryan said a Big hammer. I have also used rope around the cup & a tractor to rip out the axle, that is the fastest way you could use a car too like a hitch on a friends truck the thing will pop right out. Be sure to change the trasns 2 axle seals, they may leak they're only a few bucks.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold