Interesting shut down problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Interesting shut down problem

Post by fowljesse »

My car completely shuts off if I drive at over 3500rpm for more than a few minutes, and seems to shut down sooner with higher rpm. If I shut the ignition off, and coast for a few seconds, I can clutch start it, but it won't come back on if I don't turn off/ on the ignition. I am going to datalog with MegaSquirt when I figure out how, and run it until it does it again. The rpm dial shuts down, but nothing else. The car will also start right back up, with the starter, if I am on an incline, and can't bump start it.
I wonder if MegaSquirt has an auto shut down, or something.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Redline322

Re: Interesting shut down problem

Post by Redline322 »

You might be getting an overheating issue with the ms depending where you have it mounted. If its near the stock ecu location, it's possible running sustained at higher rpm will cause the area to get pretty warm because of the exhaust especially if you remove any of the insulation in between it and the firewall. That, combined with possible bad soldering could cause a thermo shut down similar to a pc. If you have enough slack in the wiring, move it to a more open area to see if that makes a difference and check the ms for any heat damage. Worst case take a friend along while hooked to a laptop to monitor the ms and replicate the conditions.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Take a datalog and try to see whats up.

Just turn on Tunerstudio; data logging, start loggin
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, fellas. The MS unit is mounted to the underside of the blower housing, under the glove box. It has been there for a couple of years. I'll datalog, and see what can be made of it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Being jam packed with sensitive electrical components, I'd try harder to keep it away from devices that create strong magnetic fields like blower motors.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”