Push button Wiring

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
FuelInject225
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Push button Wiring

Post by FuelInject225 »

Ok i have a 93 mx3 4cyl and when i bought it someone had attempted to steal it and broke the whole ignition. so ive been reading and searching far and wide looking for something that descriptively tells me how to rewire my ignition. i have two switches id like to wire up one for the acc and stuff and i got a momentary switch to crank it up. however i cant seem to find something that tells me which wires go where on the switch/relays nor can i find one that tells me exactly what wire does what. any help at all is appreciated. Thanks.
Evo_Spec

Re: Push button Wiring

Post by Evo_Spec »

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I could hot wire my MX-3 in 5 minutes. ! minute if I was actually stealing it and didn't mind breaking stuff.

Take all the wires out of the ignition switch. Identify the main power in and the starter power. Connect all the other wires together. Install a two position (i.e. toggle) switch that connects main power to that new bundle of wires. Install a second push button switch between the power and the starter power wires.

Done.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:Take all the wires out of the ignition switch. Identify the main power in and the starter power. Connect all the other wires together. Install a two position (i.e. toggle) switch that connects main power to that new bundle of wires. Install a second push button switch between the power and the starter power wires.

Done.
You'd probably need relays if you want a nice sleek switch setup, no? There's a fair amount of current that runs through those wires.

You know, you could do it all with 1 buttton like the new vehicles.

I did a relay setup to convert a momentary switch to on-off, never tested it, but I still have it but never got to use it (Was for the Mx-3, 4 relays and a lot of wires!), you put the accessories on that, but like the new cars with a push button start, you need to depress the brake pedal, so you tie your starter to that as a trigger, so you can push the button for your accessories, but if you want to start the car (wire up the starter trigger before the on-off relay pack so it still acts as a momentary for the starter), you just need to hold the brake to start it. The only thing would be to differentiate accessories to ignition.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The clutch lockout will still function because it interrupts the circuit after the ignition switch. As long as you use a switch rated for 30A it would be fine. The circuit is already protected by the main relay and the Fuel Inj fuse. You're just replacing the ignition switch with 2 other switches.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

Yeah I figured it out lol. It was the relay way that confused the hell out of me. I wired up all the acc to a 30a fuse to a 30a switch. I'm using a 20a momentary switch for the starter. Everything works wonderful now and it doesn't look like I'm driving a stolen car lmao. (was driving it with ignition switch dangling) thanks for all the replies.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

it would be cool to see pics of the finished result
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
FuelInject225

Post by FuelInject225 »

ok heres some pics. the silver one is the ACC switch and its in my ash tray or atleast where the ashtray i dont have should be lol. and the black one is the igniton switch which is located on the dash left of my steering wheel.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”