cooling fan motor

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
pdoan_98
antispam: No

Re: cooling fan motor

Post by pdoan_98 »

I checked the cooling fan fuse and replaced with a new one and the mechanic that replaced the fan checked the relay's. The mechanic did put a 12v power supply to the fan and it turned on.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

The primary cooling fan should come on when engine gets warmed up. The A/C fan when A/C is on.
If the fuse is good, and relay is good, and your fan is new and has tested fine, I'd suspect wiring. Possibly a glitch in the ecu, but I'd check wiring first, check for corrosion at connectors and for any broken wires.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
pdoan_98

Post by pdoan_98 »

Is there a wiring diagram or a good picture showing the wiring from the harness to wherever it goes? How hard is it to trace the wiring? How hard is it to replace the wiring?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Did you try the diagnostic mode throttle bump?

I know when I had my 1.6, the first time the fan came on is when I did that. There was a HUGE cloud of dust. the 1.6 just doesn't get very hot.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
pdoan_98

Post by pdoan_98 »

I will try that and keep ya posted. Thanks!!!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If the throttle bump doesn't turn it on and you know it works that tells you there is an issue with communication from the ECU.

If it was a swapped engine I would say that you have the wrong configuration of temp sensors in the coolant neck. Are sure the engine has not been played with in the past?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
pdoan_98

Post by pdoan_98 »

Yes. I have all the original invoices from the original owner for all the work on the car. I will look thru the paperwork again to make sure there was not an engine swap. Thanks.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

When you replaced the fuse, was the old fuse blown?
If it was, how is the new one now, still good or blown?

I just confirmed the DOHC 1.6 in 94 and newer has no sensors on the coolant neck (went outside to check the engine I pulled a while back). The green Thermosensor is near it, but not on it.
I don't know about the 92-93 SOHC 1.6, would have to hunt through some manuals. Been way too long since I messed with that engine, and I don't have it anymore.
What year is your mx3?

Unplugging the thermosensor, since default should turn on the fan, would be easier and faster than jumping TEN and Ground and doing the throttle bump.
Either way you try, recheck the fuse.

I checked online manuals for a good pic of wiring, but couldn't find one that really shows the wiring as it is in the car. Basic tracing of the wiring would be a visual inspection of the wires and where they go. May not be able see all of it, due to them going into the harness with other wires, but wouldn't hurt to take a look at what you can see for anything obvious.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah I have a bad habit of assuming everyone is driving a V6. Disregard my engine swap comments.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”